Chile Lime beer

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Photon Brewing
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Chile Lime beer

Post by Photon Brewing »

Followed the recipe from the MrB site. Tossed in 9oz of xtra lite dme and used the juice from the lime as well. Other than that it was by the book. I used some homegrown chiles I got from an uncle. The recipe called for 5 or 6 but I only used 3 and think that might even be much. The oil is still burning my hands and orfices. OG was 1.050 at 70F and used 2 packs of rehydrated gold foil yeast. I had a dme boil over. I figured I had plenty of room in 12qt pot with using a half gallon of water but apparently not. Turned away for a few seconds and thats all it took. Only have 5 extract recipes remaing and then it'll be mostly AG. Pipe line is low. Down to 7 cases.
asnider

Re: Chile Lime beer

Post by asnider »

Photon Brewing wrote:I used some homegrown chiles I got from an uncle. The recipe called for 5 or 6 but I only used 3 and think that might even be much. The oil is still burning my hands and orfices.
I used 5-6, as recommended, when I made mine and there was no heat at all. I had the same issue -- the chile oil was burning my hands for hours afterwards -- but the beer itself was not spicy at all. You could certainly taste the jalapeno flavour, but for some reason the spiciness just didn't come through.

I think adding the extra lime juice was a good idea if you really want the lime notes to come through. I used the zest of one lime, like the recipe says, and could hardly detect any lime aroma or flavour. I will add some lime juice the next time I brew this one.
Photon Brewing
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: Chile Lime beer

Post by Photon Brewing »

That explians the cidery taste and hence the longer conditioning time....no hops since the malt all gets chewed up. And the peppers and lime arent prevelent enough to mask a mouse. Maybe I'll set it outside and get the local cats drunk.