The newest of newbies

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

The newest of newbies

Post by Hayzer »

Hello all! I am new to brewing (BrewDemon gift this Christmas from wife) and new to BeerBorg. I have wanted to "attempt" a batch for a very long time and this BrewDemon has been a great way to get me introduced.
I live in north Misery, some of you outsiders might call it Missouri. There seems to be a wealth of information on this forum and I am eager to learn as much as my brain can retain. Oh look, a squirrel.

Hayzer
Bent Knee Brewery - Brewed near the Poosey
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The newest of newbies

Post by Kealia »

Welcome! We all started the same way and are happy to help move you along as needed.
You will have questions, no matter how experienced you get so don't hesitate to ask away.

And don't forget to post pics when you pour your first brew!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Welcome to the Borg, Hayzer! We almost all started with Mr Beer or BrewDemon kits, there is a wealth of info from your fellow brewers here, all levels of experience all for your brain to be picking. Please ask if you have any questions we're all here for the same outcome good home brewed beer.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Welcome to The Borg I like your introduction and you will fit right in. Ask questions as needed and tell about how things are going.
:clink: Good Luck and Happy Brewing :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

Thank you! One quick question, so I can either stop thinking about it, or move forward with it. How difficult would it be to create a recipe using only self-grown ingredients, perhaps other than yeast? I do have a background in Horticulture/Turfgrass Management so growing things has not been difficult for me. However, being "new to brew" I am not sure what all is needed.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Howdie Hayzer and welcome to the Borg.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Hayzer wrote:Thank you! One quick question, so I can either stop thinking about it, or move forward with it. How difficult would it be to create a recipe using only self-grown ingredients, perhaps other than yeast? I do have a background in Horticulture/Turfgrass Management so growing things has not been difficult for me. However, being "new to brew" I am not sure what all is needed.
Good question and I as a farmer have thought on this. Not impossible to do but would be very hard to do and to do a good job on the kind of beer we like now days. the biggest problem would be to malt your grains after harvest. You can grow some of your own hops and not that hard to do, a lot of us here grow some hops to use in our home made brews. The grain part wouldn't be as easy.....
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Hayzer wrote:How difficult would it be to create a recipe using only self-grown ingredients, perhaps other than yeast?
Basic ingredients for brewing beer
- Water (non-chlorinated)
- Malted barley (tricky on a small scale but not impossible)
- Hops (some varieties do better than others in the Midwest climate)
- Yeast (can be cultured and cultivated; however ... most people don't)

Maybe you can grow some of your own hops.

Welcome to the obsession!
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Welcome to the Borg. I remember my Christmas present years ago that got me into brewing. Little did I know what my wife was getting me into. But I now have beer whenever I want it. You will too soon!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Welcome.

As others have noted, you can use homegrown ingredients. A number of us grow our own hops and some of us give away or trade rhizomes in the spring.

Hops are easy to grow. I live in Utah, and we get almost no rain. Some years, when I've traveled a lot, I didn't even water them, but still got some hops.

Grains are another story. Growing them isn't the problem. Malting them is.

The Professor (he hasn't been active lately) has successfully malted a number of grains. I've tried malting wheat a couple of times (The Costco near me has wheat in 45 lb buckets that are a perfect size for fermenting 5 gallon batches when they're empty). I haven't been successful in my malting efforts. I decided it was far easier to simply buy malted two row from my LHBS. You can always use something like two row in conjunction with unmalted grains, since the two row will convert the starches in the unsalted grains (as long as you use enough two row). That would allow you to use some homegrown grains in the process. It's possible to malt your own, and you can find information on how to do it, but when I tried it, I just wasted time and wheat.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

Welcome to the OBSESSION, Hayser! Glad to "see" another midwesterner in here.

Anyway, I have recently (like really recently....as of last Tuesday) gotten back into brewing after a 2 year hiatus. I started on a MrBeer kit back in 2012 and the old timers in this forum (including me) are all refugees from that one. They are all knowledgeable and will answer any question, any time. (Just as long as you don't ask about throwing 6 pounds of sugar into an extract brew to make the ABV higher. on your 2nd batch....LOL)

So I'd say that as a sparkling new brewer, you may want to take a look at this: http://www.howtobrew.com/ That is the first edition and it's been updated (my hardcopy of 4th Edition and you can get one off Amazon.com). Remember 2 things.......TIME is your friend as a homebrewer and there is no such thing as over-sanitization!!
Last edited by Wings_Fan_In_KC on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

bpgreen wrote:You can always use something like two row in conjunction with unmalted grains, since the two row will convert the starches in the unsalted grains (as long as you use enough two row).
Excellent point, BP since 2-row pale malt should easily convert up to 50% of its own weight in unmalted grain. Some beer styles use that like Belgian Wit, which typically is based on 60% pale malt and 40% unmalted wheat give or take.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Wings_Fan_In_KC wrote:
bpgreen wrote:You can always use something like two row in conjunction with unmalted grains, since the two row will convert the starches in the unsalted grains (as long as you use enough two row).
Excellent point, BP since 2-row pale malt should easily convert up to 50% of its own weight in unmalted grain. Some beer styles capitalize on that like Belgian Wit, which typically is based on 60% pale malt and 40% unmalted wheat.
I'll often do partial mash batches where the mash is equal weight two row and raw wheat. I probably let it convert a little longer (I swim and shop while it's in the cooler), but it works for me.
Hayzer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Hayzer »

HerbMeowing wrote:
Hayzer wrote:How difficult would it be to create a recipe using only self-grown ingredients, perhaps other than yeast?
What if this water was from a spring on my property? Would you boil and go, or go further and distill this spring water? I drink it and have not had the scoots yet.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Hayzer wrote:
HerbMeowing wrote:
What if this water was from a spring on my property? Would you boil and go, or go further and distill this spring water? I drink it and have not had the scoots yet.
Does it taste good? If so, it will probably make good beer.

The chemical composition of the water used in brewing does affect the final product. I've never gotten into that aspect, but others have. Check out @screwybrewer for more info on this.