newbie mistake

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

newbie mistake

Post by zorak1066 »

last brew session I mixed up 2.5 gals of star san. I was pressed for time so I used garden hose water. I went to use it for bottling a week later and ack! on opening the lid a huge stink of rubber.. burnt rubber wafted up from the solution. cheap garden hose that sits in sun all day mustve started breaking down inside and made the water poopie.

good thing I noticed before starting... hate to drink beer if it had that taste. ick. ptooey. dumped, washed , started a new batch of star san.
also found a way around the mold growing in the starsan bucket from condensation over time. a sheet of plastic wrap over mouth of bucket. paper towel on top then lid. makes a great vapor barrier.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: newbie mistake

Post by RickBeer »

Garden hoses, unless designated for drinking water, contain lead and are unsuitable for drinking. If you made or bottled beer after using that batch of Starsan, especially if it was not flushed clean first, you should consider dumping it.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Better off using an empty gallon water jug or get a gallon of distilled water and mix 1/4 oz of Starsan into it. Picked up good quart spray bottles from BJ's Wholesale club, that gallon lasts about a month keeping the spray bottle filled too. Keep a gallon and a spray bottle for the brewing side and one of each in the fermenting/taproom.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

This is how I get my water to my brewery.
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-22853-Pr ... water+hose
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

light duty hose .. been used before.. doubtful it had any or much lead. I would rather drink the beer than dump it thanks. i'll take my chances. im over 50 and with all the food additives, exposure to asbestos in public school in Detroit for over a decade... lead based paint... lead miniatures that I used to paint.. hazardous chemicals that ive handled without gloves.. lol! it aint gonna kill me. it didn't start stinking til a week later so it was fine for sanitizing one batch of bottles. ppl are a bit extremist in their concerns. I remember using DDT bug killer without respirator or gloves in the 70s as a kid.

in 3rd grade I remember picking at the asbestos lined radiator pipes.. looked like a bad plaster cast around them for insulation in Detroit... and marveling at the dust in the sunlight from the window. my favorite play thing as a kid was a chemistry set which I used to mix a little of this and that , then burn it to see what it would do. i'll likely croak from cancer anyway by the time I hit 70 but dammit im gonna have beer!
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Gymrat wrote:This is how I get my water to my brewery.
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-22853-Pr ... water+hose
That to me is a very small price to pay for peace of mind. Our club used a stinky plastic garden hose that was left out in the sun to heat enough water for a a 55 gallon mash once. I swear the water had such a strong odor I can't believe it didn't affect the taste of the beer.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Just had to get a new water hose for the new camper, the old one sprung a leak after 15 years. Wallyworld has RV drinking water safe in 10', 25' and 50' for $25 or less, Camco brand. Other than the extra elbow I got growing out of my wrist :D they work great!!!
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

the hose water was only used for star san.. it only made brief contact with bottles, hoses etc. I would never brew with hose water. ever. that would be disgusting and cruel treatment of the yeast. for my beer I use only the finest grocery store mineral water.. that ive got the lab analysis for the current spring where it is drawn. they were nice enough each year to provide on request. I don't even subject my beer or yeast to tap water. ours is really icky. so really.. much ado about nothing. I thought it wouldn't hurt to use the hose to make starsan ... found out otherwise.