Explain this to me please

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Explain this to me please

Post by Beer-lord »

Tomorrow I'm brewing an 11 gallon batch and splitting it in to 2 fermenters (5.5 each duh!).
So, why, if I were putting this in 1 fermenter with 11 gallons would 3 liters of yeast not be enough but splitting into 2 fermenters and using 1.5 liters in each, is more than enough?

See these charts? 11 gallons require 401 billion cells yet 3 liters only yields 366 billion (not enough). However, 5.5 gallons need only 200 billion and 1.5 liters is 266 billion. (more than enough.)
Does the larger volume make a difference? Size really does matter?
11 gallons.JPG
11 gallons.JPG (79.24 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
5.5 gallons.JPG
5.5 gallons.JPG (78.63 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Explain this to me please

Post by Gymrat »

Osmosis
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thanks for reassuring me on why I continue to use dry yeast!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

#Stumped

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Take a look at the inoculation rate. It's twice as high for the smaller starter.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

bpgreen wrote:Take a look at the inoculation rate. It's twice as high for the smaller starter.
Yes, but why is that?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

It's magic. Don't try to make sense of it.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Beer-lord wrote:
bpgreen wrote:Take a look at the inoculation rate. It's twice as high for the smaller starter.
Yes, but why is that?
Because you're starting with the same number of cells for a 1.5 liter as for a 3 liter starter. If you're splitting the yeast between two batches, you should adjust the starting cell count.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Ahhhh, nice! So easy it went right by me.
Thanks for this. I was racking my feeble mind.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

We're did you locate the link to YeastCalc, I tried it and the domain was parked and no longer available?
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

It's spelled out now.....not calc, yeastcalculator.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

That led me down this path to this link, which explains the other stir plate option that is available in that calculator.

http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2012/11 ... st-growth/

If it is correct, then J's formula (which Mr. Malty uses and is the one selected in the pics posted above) is under estimating cell growth for stir starters by a good bit.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've had that link bookmarked for some time now. I've also listened to way too many podcasts on the subject and done more reading than I care to and am better prepared but still feel inferior when dealing with yeast and water (I feel I have the malt side down pretty well).
Jamil has said that his version is based on his research as well as personal brewing and that he'd feel better having users follows his chart and overpitch rather than the possibility of underpitching. The dangers are under pitching are much worse for most homebrewers than over pitching and that's the way I've approached my starters.

Yesterday's brew I had planned to split a 3 L starter over 2 beers but in the end, I also split a pack of 05 in each one as insurance. I didn't have time to do a step up starter nor did I have enough yeast to make a starter big enough in time so I took the safest way out. It was already blowing up this morning so I have no worries at all.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:The dangers are under pitching are much worse for most homebrewers than over pitching and that's the way I've approached my starters.
In general I would agree for many home brewers but:

Your mostly brewing IPAs and APAs I think, and yeah it's really hard to overpitch those because you aren't going for yeast driven flavors. But overpitching can be a real problem for some styles depending on the character you want, where the yeast character is most of what you taste.

It's mostly if you pitch to the point that the yeast won't grow about 3 generations of wort adapted daughter cells that it can become an issue, especially for yeast that you actually want significant estery yeast character from. I know from my own experience that Mr. Malty's pitch rate calculator makes starters that are too big for some types of wheat beers strains, certain Belgian strains, and some English strains in some types of beer if you want the full character of the yeast to shine through, vs. just a limited subset of that character. But this is a matter of yeast strain, temperature control (or lack of), and wort composition too. So it's "complicated" and can't be simplified just down to just pitch rates based on OG, it's getting into more of an experience and feel for a yeast strain and what it does, and pitch rate is simply a part of that puzzle. I've not been able to quantify why they are too big because I can't physically count the cells produced. I just know they are, because the end results taste wimpy.

I guess a simple "test" as such would be perhaps try the other formula for a wheat beer (not American "I hate yeast character" wheat, but a real Hefe or Dunkle or the like) where you want banana (or apple/pear with some strains). Ideally split between 2 fermenters, using J's starter rate # for one of them and the other # for the other, and see what you think of the end products. If you like what's behind door #2 better, then J's numbers are possibly creating more cells then he thinks.

Of course that experiment only works if you like yeast character driven beers, which most Americans seem to not. Their loss...