Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Post by FedoraDave »

This is an imperial stout brewed with vanilla beans. I'm not big on stouts, as a rule, but a well-made one is definitely appreciated. Also, since I'm collecting bomber bottles to make bottling day a little easier, and the name piqued my curiosity, I thought I'd give it a try.

Interestingly, it lists the ingredients on the label: 24* plato, 2-row barley, dark caramel malt, vanilla bean, lactose sugar, columbus and horizon hops, natural flavor. The ABV is 10%. This is certainly intended to be a specialty beer.

And I was not disappointed. It almost seems to pour thick, if that makes sense; very rich and full in appearance, with a dark tan head. A bit of alcohol heat at first, but at 10%, that's not unusual, and it's not intrusive. A slightly sweet aroma, but the roasted malts keep it from being cloying.

A smooth, full mouthfeel, and the vanilla is fairly prominent, but again, it's balanced well by the malt bill. This is definitely a dessert beer, and would complement French vanilla ice cream with strawberries, chocolate or raspberry cheesecake, or even coffee cake.

It's not something I'd buy again unless I was planning to serve it this way, but as a specialty beer, it's extremely well-done.

Souther Tier rarely disappoints, in my experience.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Post by berryman »

[spoiler=][/spoiler]
FedoraDave wrote: It's not something I'd buy again unless I was planning to serve it this way, but as a specialty beer, it's extremely well-done.
Southern Tier rarely disappoints, in my experience.
Good review Dave on this beer. Southern tier is my local brewery and I don't always care for everything they brew but for the most part they have good beer. I drink a lot of their beer. Just a little ways down the road from me. But I will say sometimes the glue they use on their labels don't clean up good, I'm Fighting that right now trying to get some more bottles ready for my own use....ST = good beer.............. :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Don, when I find some label glue to be especially stubborn, I use some cooking spray on it, scrape it with a butter knife, and then scrub with a soapy sponge.

For a few of my bomber bottles, I haven't even bothered to try removing the labels. More trouble than it's worth, and I just write an identifier on the bottle cap with a Sharpie.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Not all of their labels come off hard but some do. I soak in hot water and oxi and some clean up easy and some don't. SA, Great Lakes and Doghead come off on their own, but Ommegang , ST and others I have to work at. Must be the different glue they use.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison