Gonna be smokin' the Thanksgiving turkey

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Gonna be smokin' the Thanksgiving turkey

Post by FedoraDave »

This will be the third year I've made the Thanksgiving turkey in the smoker. The first two turned out pretty well, considering I'd never attempted it before. The very first was a bit dry, I'll admit, but I didn't keep a close eye on the temperature. It was still pretty tasty, though. The second turned out very succulent, but the skin browned too much, so it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing as it might have been.

This year, I think I've got my process down and mastered the learning curve.

Preparation is easy; I don't brine the bird; I just clean it out thoroughly with cool water and season it with half a stick of butter, salt, pepper, and herbs blended together and rubbed inside the cavity, under the skin, and all over the skin. Since you can't put stuffing in for a smoked bird, I fill the cavity with two or three sweet onions, cut into quarters.

I use a small bed of charcoal, just to get the heat going, and use apple wood chunks for the smoke. Put the turkey in an aluminum roasting pan to catch the juices, and let the smoke do its thing at around 250 degrees. I try to baste every 30 minutes, although there's not much juice until about an hour in.

This year, I'm going to tent the whole thing with foil, since I believe that will help cut down on over-browning the skin.

It's really all about maintaining the temperature to avoid spikes or valleys, basting properly, and getting the internal temperature to 165.

I think I'll really get it perfect this year. I came close last year, losing points only for appearance. Last year's turkey was certainly juicy and flavorful!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
BlackDuck

Re: Gonna be smokin' the Thanksgiving turkey

Post by BlackDuck »

I do mine on the smoker too....but I don't really smoke mine.

I've got a chargriller with the side firebox. But for the turkey, I don't use the side firebox. I do mine indirect. I'll put the pile of coals on the right side of the main cooking chamber, and put the turkey on the left side of the main chamber so the bird is not directly under the coals. My temperature runs in the 350 range, so it's really smoke roasting. I'll rotate the bird every 45 minutes until done so it cooks evenly. After the first hour and a half or so (or when the skin is a good color), I'll tent with foil. I'll also add smoke. I like to use Pecan for the wood. I just think that it goes real well with turkey.

For a good reference for smoke roasting a turkey (and for good smoking advice and recipes for other stuff), check out Amazing Ribs Ultimate Turkey. It's a lot of reading, but it's loaded with great information. From turkey prep, to the wet rub, to the gravy, to recommended cooking times..etc.etc. It's just a great site.

Can't wait to see some pictures Dave!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Gonna be smokin' the Thanksgiving turkey

Post by BigPapaG »

Sounds great...

Been toying with the idea of smokin' a few honey marinade turkey breasts...

Was thinking of how to keep them from drying out...

Might cold smoke them and then sear them off to hold the juice in for the remainder of the time indirect.

Or, I could use a large percentage of canola oil in the honey marinade...

Not sure...

:cool: