Keg Hopping - Uh Oh!!!

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Keg Hopping - Uh Oh!!!

Post by BlackDuck »

SOOOOOoooooo....I keg hopped my Galaxy Pale Ale today. This is the first time keg hopping. I bought one of those stainless steel super fine mesh keg hopping tubes to do it in. I tied it off with dental floss so it could be retrieved after my planned four day keg hop time frame.

I ran into a little problem...for some reason, I could not get the keg to get a good seal. I previously pressure tested it, so I know it can hold a good seal. I tried and tried and tried. I adjusted the top over and over, repressurized over and over and still could not get it to seal. Just a slow leak around the o-ring, which was lubed with keg lube. Well, as I was trying again, the dental floss broke and down to the bottom of the keg went the hop thingy. And all of a sudden, I had a good seal, pressurized and no leak. Seams like the dental floss was the culprit of it not sealing.

My question now is....how do I go about fishing the hop thingy out in four days. I'm thinking of sanitizing some grill tongs and trying that. There's no way that I'm the first one that this has happened to, so anyone have any ideas on how to get it out?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Keg Hopping - Uh Oh!!!

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

:oops: Get a clothes hanger, undo it and make a smaller loop, sanitize and hook it.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Just leave it till the keg kicks. That's what I always do and have never had any off favors. My Pliny that scored 44 was bottled from a keg that still had hops in it from 4 months prior. So unless you just want your hopper back, leave it.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

HMMM a Galaxy Pale Ale with Galaxy Hops stuck in the keg HMMM were you planning on having this ready for your deck warming party? Has your wife sent the invitations for the deck warming party out yet? May I have her phone number and the name of her favorite perfume or chocolate please? :p
Sibling Brewers
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Yea. It will be ready for the new deck. They haven't started yet. I'm guessing in the next week they should start. I'll have to ask about the invitations!!!

My original plan was to let the keg sit at basement temps for four days, remove the hops, then into the fridge on gas. If I decide to leave them in, should I just put it into the fridge now and gas it up?

You know, I could always remove it when the keg is about half gone. It would be easy to hook it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I would just leave it, throw it in the fridge and gas it up and get that deck built. I would wait til the keg kicks before retrieving the hop tube. Why take the chance of oxygenating a perfectly good beer. If you need it quickly, I am sure if I left right now, the beer would be ready to drink by the time I get there. I could bring a tri-tip for the BBQ on the new deck, your decision.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm voting for leaving it in, too. When I keg hop I always leave them in and I go through kegs slowly. I've not had any issues either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thanks for the insight guys. Time to go put it in the fridge and on the gas.

Whamo.....your more than welcome, and so is the tri-tip!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That happened to me with some glass marbles in the bag and I left it at the bottom. Near the end the beer came out slower but it was no problem.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Is it the cold that stops the "vegetal" flavors then? I was under the impression the longer a dry hop was left in the fermenter that it has the tendency to pick up grassy and vegetation flavors. Difference between the warm and cold dry hop time in the beer????
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I have some hops in the keg of my Simply Amarillo and most times I leave it in until it kicks and I do see the flavor changes over time but I can't say it's every given a grassy taste. I guess it could be due to the low temps.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Is it the cold that stops the "vegetal" flavors then? I was under the impression the longer a dry hop was left in the fermenter that it has the tendency to pick up grassy and vegetation flavors. Difference between the warm and cold dry hop time in the beer????
I think its a hop specific thing. The only beers I've ever got such flavors from had an extended dry hop of Saaz. I sometimes commando as much as 2oz of whatever late boil hops I use that end up in my fermenter for 2+ weeks, and never get off flavors from doing that.

PH, time, and temperature affect what compounds are extracted from hops and at what rate. Somewhere on this or the old forum I posted a chart that I found on the Intrawebz that came from some $10,000 commercial brewing book that showed hop oils/compounds extracted and amounts vs. time/temperature/ph. I don't know where it is anymore, but if I find it again I'll post it here. But yes temperature does matter.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yep, I can't cite references at this point either but temp makes a big difference. It's why dry hopping is done warm - to extract the compounds quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk