Yeast in a can

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Yeast in a can

Post by Beer-lord »

Anyone seen this before? Sounds familiar but it does look like something I'd give a try to for laughs and giggles.
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/imperial-o ... tefon.html

http://www.imperialyeast.com/
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Yeast in a can

Post by BigPapaG »

Beer-lord wrote:Anyone seen this before? Sounds familiar but it does look like something I'd give a try to for laughs and giggles.
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/imperial-o ... tefon.html

http://www.imperialyeast.com/
Interesting...

I sent them an email just now and they called me within 60 seconds...

On the phone now...

:cool:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Really? Keep me updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

So... Got a call immediately from one of the owners, Owen Lingley and had a nice conversation.

I asked about a cross-reference chart but they will not be providing one. Instead, I was directed to read their strain descriptions carefully as one could probably figure out the underlying strain type from same. Basically, if you think it's what you think it is, then it most likely is what you think it is.

Also asked about distribution and was told that MoreBeer should be starting to distribute it today out of their East Coast location. They are trying to line up both distributors and homebrew stores and hope to be widely available within six months.

The do all their own lab and packaging work as well.

We also talked about the instructions related to pitching cold and it makes sense that there should be no detriment in pitching 35-40°F yeast into 60-65°F wort. Probably wouldn't want to pitch into 75-80°F wort anyway so there's that...

Anyway, sounds like an interesting alternative... Good capacity for a startup, a wide selection of strains, safe and convenient packaging, quick customer service response times...

Can't wait to see it on the shelves and get a feel for pricing...

EDIT: Checked out the pricing in the other link you provided... Seems fair given the cell count!

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

When it gets cooler, I may order some and make some huge starters with one or two. The FAQ's say that in order to do it right, you really should make at least a 4L starter which would then equal 2 cans. Sounds about right.
Thanks for the info. Pretty cool that they called you so fast. You must be somebody important.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Small batch-size brewers won't hardly be interested in adding 10 oz of mystery starter-beer into their wort.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Why not? I throw 800ML starters (30oz) into my small batches all the time. I direct pitch, I do not decant. I just base my target volume around the starter. So I'd have no problem pitching a can of this as long as it's good yeast and a high enough cell count. My issue would be that it's kind of spendy at $9 compared to my starters.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

mashani wrote:Why not?.
There's limited space in small fermentors (<= 3G). Diluting freshly mashed wort with starter beer is a crime against nature.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

HerbMeowing wrote:
There's limited space in small fermentors (<= 3G). Diluting freshly mashed wort with starter beer is a crime against nature.
These are right sized for 5-6 gallons of wort...

I suppose you could split it between two 3 gallon batches though...

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

HerbMeowing wrote:
Whatever floats your boat, but I just base target volume against volume of my starter and I have great results. I usually pitch the entire starter at high krausen. I've both decanted and done this, and I like the results better (I get more rapid onset of fermentation, and better attenuation) when pitching at high krausen. So nature doesn't give a crap about said crime really... now if you didn't plan on the extra volume and the starter gravity in your recipe construction, then sure it might throw off your results a little bit. But I doubt anyone would notice unless you told them in most beers. Once in a while I screw up and end up with a closer to 2.6 gallon batch instead of 2.5, but again unless I convince my brain to know that it was wrong (IE I mark the batch as a screw up instead just drinking it), I don't end up perceiving the end result much differently, if at all. If I can do this with 800ML in a 2.5 gallon batch, then 150ML isn't going to be jack as far as noticeability. There is maybe a 2-3 gravity point and 4-5 IBU difference perhaps when I royally screw up, but there is *more* variance in AAUs in the hops we buy and use and the #'s we calculate with (because packaged hops AAUs are when packaged, but they degrade over time, sometimes very quickly, and it varies greatly depending on hop variety and storage conditions, as does flavor/aroma compounds too - and we have no idea of the storage conditions or exact age of the hops before we buy them - and we don't have a lab at our disposal to measure them before we actually use them). Home brewers who think they know exactly what they are making and think they are making it exactly consistently every time are wrong. It's why I don't measure hops below 1/4oz fractions. It's not worth it. It means *nothing at all* really because we don't know exactly what we have (the package is a lie). Honestly, your yeast pitch rate and consistent temperature schedule and the rest of your process (sanitation, etc) is vastly more important then the slight dilution when it comes to coming up with seemingly consistent results.

Didn't mean that to sound like a rant, but these things are all relative. I see it as a non-factor. To me price is the bigger factor for small batches. So based on price, splitting it becomes the issue for me, not volume / perceived dilution.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've done both, decant and full volume and never noticed a difference at all. But I usually do my starters early enough that I can cold crash them days before.
But then again, I brew 6 gallon batches so another liter or 2 isn't going to make much difference in that at all.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I just got an email from MoreBeer today and they have this in stock now. So, it's out there.