It Was Bound To Need Replacing

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

It Was Bound To Need Replacing

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

About a month ago my Hanna digital pH meter started displaying 'WRNG' when calibrating it with 4.01 buffer solution. The 7.01 calibration seemed to work ok, but the meter readings started wandering and I lost faith in its accuracy. Fortunately the meter I bought uses a replaceable probe and electrode and it arrived today.

I plan to replace the probe with the new one and use the new 4.01 and 7.01 calibration solutions I ordered with the probe to try recalibrating the meter tomorrow. I'd been storing the original probe in 4.01 solution for over a year in between use. This time I plunked down the money and ordered the storage solution too. More to follow....
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: It Was Bound To Need Replacing

Post by John Sand »

Thanks for the review. I have considered a ph meter, but have not bought.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I brewed this past Sunday and while heating strike water and calibrating my thermometers I usually use that time to calibrate my ph meter for the brew session. I started with the 4.01 solution and then the 7.0 and the 7.0 screw wouldn't calibrate, so in trying it also threw the 4.01 calibration way off. And then it started going all over the place...so I tossed it. I had that one for well over a year and the same for the one before that. I will buy another one just like it. They do have a lifespan, even when cared for.

So with that said, it was the first time in a very long time that I brewed with out a ph meter. I couldn't check mash ph but I did calculate my Lactic acid addition with EZ Water to treat the mash and should have been in the 5.2-5.4 zone so I trusted that. I have found EZ water to be accurate for me. It was kind of like being out without your wallet, but in the end it will still be beer.
Brew Strong My Friends...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

MadBrewer wrote:I brewed this past Sunday and while heating strike water and calibrating my thermometers I usually use that time to calibrate my ph meter for the brew session. I started with the 4.01 solution and then the 7.0 and the 7.0 screw wouldn't calibrate, so in trying it also threw the 4.01 calibration way off. And then it started going all over the place...so I tossed it. I had that one for well over a year and the same for the one before that. I will buy another one just like it. They do have a lifespan, even when cared for.

So with that said, it was the first time in a very long time that I brewed with out a ph meter. I couldn't check mash ph but I did calculate my Lactic acid addition with EZ Water to treat the mash and should have been in the 5.2-5.4 zone so I trusted that. I have found EZ water to be accurate for me. It was kind of like being out without your wallet, but in the end it will still be beer.
Yep I agree, very good point. This weekend I'll get to play around with replacing the probe and recalibrating it....just not enough hours in the time so weeks.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Well having a day off sure adds to one's brewing time. Over morning coffee I sat down and unpacked the new probe, calibration and storage solutions I had ordered from Hanna last week. As you recall I was having trouble recalibrating the meter after using it for almost two years. About two months ago after storing the probe lying flat instead of upright as I had been doing the 4.01 calibration solution leaked out of the cap's reservoir and the probe dried out. Whether it was the length of usage or storing the meter's probe dry I couldn't count on the accuracy of the pH values displayed any more.
watermeter1sml.jpg
watermeter1sml.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 684 times
I was surprised how easy the probe replacement was just a twist with the probe replacement tool and I was holding the old probe in my hand. After soaking the new probe in storage solution for 10 minutes or so I installed it in the meter with a quick twist of the tool. Within minutes after filling some shot glasses with calibration solution I had a perfectly calibrated pH meter to use again. I'm happy to say the meter is once again working as good as new. The pH readings are stable once again and show accurate results consistently.

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Glad you are back on track. I picked up a new Hanna Checker ph meter on Friday. It's my 3rd one in about 6 years of brewing. This morning I calibrated the new meter and brewed up a big Pale Ale. All went well and I'm glad to have the meter back just to verify I'm in the ballpark I want to be in.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Ahh @MadBrewer you got to brew this weekend, I'm so jealous! I agree there's just something about having the ability to check your brewing water's pH level that feels comforting to me. Now that the meter's working accurately again I sampled the fermented beer's pH just before cold crashing it and it came out within the guidelines pH of 4.31 too. The beer looks and tastes better than I could have expected, in fact I think it might be best IPA I've ever brewed.

The replacement probe ran $53.00 plus shipping I ordered it direct from Hanna along with storage solution and calibration solutions. It's money well spent to be confident that I can easily replicate this same recipe over again and know it'll come out just as good the next time.

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Yeah, I had some time to get some brewing done. I brewed last weekend, I brewed yesterday morning and again this morning. I don't have to work till this afternoon so why not. Now my kegs will be filled soon and I'll have plenty to drink come Memorial Day weekend.

That's exactly what I have to do, check the finished beer ph of the Cream Ale I did without the ph meter for checking the mash. Trusting EZ water for the acid addition, I'm sure everything went fine but seeing that the beer finishes out under 4.5 I'll be very happy.