Wort Chiller Upgrade

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Knightmare
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Wort Chiller Upgrade

Post by Knightmare »

Well, it looks like the same ole gang here! I look forward to being re-assmilated. So its been a pretty hectic year for me and my family. I took a new job for the company I work for and relocated 1100 miles late this summer. We went from the quiet Nebraska living to dealing with the crazy traffic dilemma's of the greater Atlanta, GA area. Its been a bit of an adjustment to say the least. But we've pretty much settled in quite happily after a few months. Now that things have calmed down I can get back to brewing again.

So anyway, to get to the point. I lost my custom immersion chiller a year ago to it freezing. I bought a smaller one from a buddy because I was in a pinch on brew day. It looks tiny in my megapot. It worked OK with the cold NE ground water, but is having problems cooling wort here in GA. So its time for an upgrade and a new technique. Any suggestions from the Borg?

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the homebrew I owe you Inkleg. I still have the Naked Cat Brewery magnets on the beer fridge. You'll have to give me some time to brew it of course. But it should be a lot easier to get it to you now! :D
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Wort Chiller Upgrade

Post by Inkleg »

Welcome to my hometown, sorry about the traffic. Seems everyone here is to busy updating their Facebook profile rather that paying attention to their driving. What side of town are you on (north if I remember from before) I'm outside the perimeter ( I-285 ) on the east side close to Stone Mountain.

Yeah chilling wort can be a challenge in the summer. I have a 50 ft 3/8 chiller from Jaded brewing. I also have a pump and whirlpool, that really helps cut down the time. During the summers I'll get it as low as I can with tap water and then either do the pond pump/ice water bit or just toss it in the fermentation fridge till it gets to pitching temperature.

Again, welcome to town. First drinks on me. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Knightmare
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Knightmare »

Thanks for the welcome Jeff. Yeah I live on the north side in Woodstock. Its a nice town. I have an old buddy in Roswell that introduced me to the guys at Reformation Brewing. Great new little brewery about 5 mins from my house! We'll definitely have to get together sometime for a couple.

I was actually looking at the Hydra from Jaded. I figured I could combine that with a pond pump and ice water. But now that I've seen your electric set up, I might have to invest in a counter flow set up for the future!
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Knightmare wrote:Yeah I live on the north side in Woodstock.
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we're never going to meet. For us to meet, one would have to travel "The Upper Perimeter". It'd be easier for you to meet us in Nashville. :lol: Ok, it's not really that bad................................ok yes it is.

I was drooling over the Hydra when I got mine and now wish I had. That with my pump, I think I'd be pitching my yeast before I brewed. :lol:
If you have the need to punch holes in you pots when you upgrade to electric let me know. I have two Greenlee punches, can't recall exact sizes right now, but one will fit a heating element the other size for ball valves. Think I'd be less nervous putting holes in YOUR pots than I was with mine.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Hi @Knightmare welcome back, it's really been awhile! Like Jeff I decided to go electric too with my new brewroom build and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I feel bad for my immersion chiller just sitting all alone on a shelf in the brewroom, since I started using a convoluted counter-flow chiller too. I used mine this past July and August when NJ temperatures are at their highest and had no trouble getting the wort down to pitching temperature.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'