danstar bella saison..holy cow!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

danstar bella saison..holy cow!

Post by zorak1066 »

did a saison.. 3gal batch with a full sachet of yeast. room temp for the first week (67f) .. in a couple days had 3-4 inches of krausen that fell by day 4!!

week 2 put it in a heated water bath at 74f and added half pound of raw honey that I let sit over night in boiled water to cool. . . about a quart. the fermenter was dead quiet when I tossed it in. within less than 20 minutes I had rapid airlock activity! happy happy yeast!

so after week 3 I bottled in 1/2 liter bottles with 2 cubes of sugar each... about 4g per bottle. (final grav just over 1.001) stored in 65-67f environment. the bottles are ROCK FREAKING SOLID IN THREE DAYS. each bottle has a nice layer of bottle trub already. (pretty white trub to contrast the beer)

omg... this is the coolest yeast.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: danstar bella saison..holy cow!

Post by DaYooper »

I am a huge fan of that yeast myself and many times ramp that puppy up until it hits 90F to get the cooler and warmer complexities of it.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

I have some that I am using now also. Less than 12 hours and that was some active stuff. I keeping it warm right now with a towel in the high 70's. Just for a week than I will let it cool down into high 60's for the remaining time in the fermenter.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Half the batches I made this summer was with Bella. That's what I think of it.
Betolis

Post by Betolis »

I made my first saison this summer and I'm pretty impressed too.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I think that yeast would ferment out an old sneaker. :lol: I know for a fact that it will get a beer down to a FG of 0.098 :)
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

you know youre obsessed when you find yourself as giddy as a little girl when your yeast performs beyond expectations. lol... I need a life :)

can you believe they are already done with the sugar in the bottle and are settling out despite being a low floc yeast? I've got clearing beer with a layer of silty, yeasty goodness at the bottom of the bottle.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FYI: My experience is that it settles to the bottom of the bottle quickly, but it doesn't cake up densely. So if you pour the whole bottle except for the dregs in one clean pour you can get totally clear beer in a glass. But if you pour half a bottle and then pour more, that pour can get a bit cloudy. The cloudy beer doesn't taste wrong in any way, so if it happens treat it like a hefe - enjoy it.

Inkleg is right about the 0.098. Even 100% extract beers, anything I've made 1.06 or < has ended up 1.003 or <. AG with lower mash temps, or sugar adjunct and you are .0somthing.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

I enjoy hefe yeast in my beer so I'm really looking forward to this batch. the hydro sample already tasted great. the hops are clean... the wheat malt shines and pairs great with the munich and pilsen. the honey I added is barely detectable flavorwise but added a little something to the aroma. the bittering is just right... (does snoopy happy dance)
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

In my opinion Belle Saison yeast lends a "peppery" character to my beer.
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

Gymrat wrote:In my opinion Belle Saison yeast lends a "peppery" character to my beer.
I get a little of that right at the end also.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Yeah I've used Belle Saison 5 times now. Definitely a good yeast.

Gymrat wrote:In my opinion Belle Saison yeast lends a "peppery" character to my beer.
If your lookin for pepper/spicy, try T-58. I believe, it is also a Belgium yeast.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

T-58 and Bella can taste a lot a like depending on fermentation temps. But T-58 at higher temps gets fruity, where Bella does not. Bella has a citrus like tartness along with the peppery flavors that T-58 does not out of the box. T-58 has some subtle cloves, more then Bella. T-58 can make Banana at high temps, where Bella doesn't do that in my experience. Neither of them make much Bubblegum, if you want Bubblegum you need to use a Dupont strain (Belgian Saison liquid yeast).

But T-58 is lucky to hit 75-78% attenuation without help (IE a good bit of sugar adjunct) where Bella is as you know a beast. So to get a similar tasting outcome you need to use sugar or candi syrup with T-58 to get the final attenuate levels closer and dry out the beer.

I have made some really good pseudo-saisons with T-58 by using up to 20% sugar adjunct, to get it to ferment out drier like Bella would without the sugar.

It makes good pseudo-saisons.

But I only do it if I happen to have T-58 on hand for some reason. If not I'd go with the Bella for peppery/citrusy saisons, and Belgian Saison if I want a more DuPont like vibe.

I think White Labs sells a blend of the two now actually, so you get the automatic great attenuation of Bella/French saison and the extra bubblegum/fruity esters from the Belgian strain. The Belgian strain is a fickle animal on it's own to get to fully ferment out unless you can find a 90+ degree room for it.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Indeed Belle Saison is a beast. According to the math, I had 100% attenuation on a batch. Make a nice dry beer.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

My apartment hits 72', higher once the radiator starts going crazy. My guess is that Belle Saison is fine fermenting at those temperatures. I'm planning on brewing the MB Saison.