beer chemistry

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Re: beer chemistry

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

I am done. Fuggin' done with this course!

YEAH!! Took my exam and missed a few and I don't even give a crap.

Overall I should pull a B and I learned more about the microbiological bullshit of brewing that I ever wanted to really know.

I make good beers that my wife and I enjoy drinking and while I own a hydrometer, I never use it because I could not care less what the ABV of my batches are.

Swen or Mashani once said that I have "truly mastered the RDWHAHB theory" by not worrying about ABV measurements and with that, I raise a glass of my PHP Mod and smile.

Goodbye Dr. Morvant and Mr "I Sell Propane & Propane Accessories!"

I'm free......free at last!!!!! Mwah-hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa~!
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Taking mine tomorrow... How many questions was it?

Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

25 questions.

About 8/9 of them require specialized microbiological chemistry knowledge and the rest would be easily answered by an experienced home-brewer.
Crazy Dog Brewing

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Missed three... left me at 87% overall. Not displeased with that, though I wanted the A. Fun class nonetheless...

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
BB2
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BB2 »

Took mine yesterday "late" - don't know (or care really) if it will count but got 4 wrong. Overall the course was okay, I learned some stuff - mostly un-useful stuff though. Oddly I came away feeling that nothing will directly help me make better beer. My Sis definately became more an engineer doing her bottle washer research than I did becoming a beer chemist.
Past BBFFL Champion (for now)
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Took mine a day late. Wasnt concerned since even though I took a couple of quizzes ontime they posted as late. Missed three although I am convinced one of them was incorrect. Understanding the amalyses was interesting from a mashing perspective but I really wish they had more water chemistry topics. I did come away with some info but realize this is an organic chemistry class and not one for Siebel.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

If anyone is interesting in taking the Chemistry of Beer course that a few of us took in the spring via Univ. of Oklahoma, the new session begins on October 13. FWIW, I found it to be interesting and am glad I took it. Note, though, that this is a chemistry course, so there is some chemistry knowledge necessary. That being said, my last chem course was in '90, and I made it through OK. Didn't necessarily change my process based on what was learned, but did learn the "why" on a lot of things that I've always just taken as fact because it was what I was told or what I had read.

Free to audit, or $199 to earn a transferrable credit hour (the "for credit" option is new this semester)

https://janux.ou.edu/course.chem4970-200.html

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Note that if you audit, you do not necessarily have to take the tests on or before the due date. Shoot, you dont really even have to take them at all I guess. I too had several !ah-ha! moments and found it very worthwhile, if not just for my inquisitive mind. I found some of the handouts and reference material made it all worthwhile by itself.

For those of you who actually want credit, I can sell you the answer keys on the cheap....
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Question for the guys that did this last year. If you do this as an audit, is everything done on your own time over the internet? Or do you have to be logged in during the published class time?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

BlackDuck wrote:Question for the guys that did this last year. If you do this as an audit, is everything done on your own time over the internet? Or do you have to be logged in during the published class time?
Being one of they guys that started and bailed on it last time, you still need to do it during the published class time (at least you did last year). I thought it was a good course, but time got the better of me. Thinking about trying to fit it in the schedule again this time around.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

gwcr wrote:
BlackDuck wrote:Question for the guys that did this last year. If you do this as an audit, is everything done on your own time over the internet? Or do you have to be logged in during the published class time?
Being one of they guys that started and bailed on it last time, you still need to do it during the published class time (at least you did last year). I thought it was a good course, but time got the better of me. Thinking about trying to fit it in the schedule again this time around.
Im not sure if that is true. I was late on more than one occasion and never got spanked for it. They do open the units one at a time, but once opened they weren't closed out. But, maybe they simply grade the tests one by one which may take several days so as long as there are tests in the queue you are good.

If you are auditing and dont care about the final grade, I guess you can just take the test on time and gets what youse gets and then go back to study the material as time permits.
BB2
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BB2 »

Another thing is, once you sign up the course stays open to you afterwards so you can finish late. Also, I joined six weeks late but managed to catch up by the end anyway. If nothing else you will get a few reference documents worth keeping - and get a few laffs on the geek assistant professor!
Past BBFFL Champion (for now)
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

I did this course last time and I'm glad I did, learned the "whys" like Swen said. Wasn't overly impressed with the Hank Hill assistant professor and I wasn't thrilled at the microbiological content but it is what it was.
Crazy Dog Brewing

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

It's not really a set class time. .. they post vids and class materials maybe once a week, and there is a quiz at the end of each week that you have a few days to compete. So it's on a set schedule but you don't have to log in at a specific time for the course.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

plus you get to really sound like a beer geek when you talk about the diiference alpha and beta amylase