The Magic of Induction

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jimmypirate
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

The Magic of Induction

Post by jimmypirate »

I was wondering if anyone has looked into the single burner induction cooktops that they advertise on TV and Bed, Bath and
Beyond. They seem like a pretty good product with the exact temperature control and portability. My question would be do they throw enough power to boil 2-5 gallons of water efficiently? Thoughts?
~On the Way~

~On the Board~
Small Batch Gossamer Red
Small Batch Cherry Wheat
Big Batch Cerveza
Big Batch Canadian Blonde

~R.I.P~
Small Batch Cerveza
Small Batch Chile Lime Cerveza
Small Batch Canadian Blonde
Small Batch Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner
Small Batch Hopped Up IPA
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The Magic of Induction

Post by Gymrat »

Even if it didn't it is an interesting thing to look at for mashing. My big concern about it would be the amount of current it draws. I don't believe I would try it with older house wiring. Also your kettle has to be magnetic, or it has to be sitting on something magnetic which would take a much longer time to heat your liquid. Stainless and Aluminum are not magnetic. This is definitely worth some research but be aware of what I just brought up as questions to be answered as you do.
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

All of the "residential" models you see on TV and in stores like BBB are designed to run on standard 15A circuits, which limits them to 1875W at the high end, but most of them are 1500W models. This will work for smaller batches, but will not be able to boil anything over 3-4 gallons of wort. In my opinion, a stove supplemented by a heatstick will work much better!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

russki wrote:All of the "residential" models you see on TV and in stores like BBB are designed to run on standard 15A circuits, which limits them to 1875W at the high end, but most of them are 1500W models. This will work for smaller batches, but will not be able to boil anything over 3-4 gallons of wort. In my opinion, a stove supplemented by a heatstick will work much better!
How do you think these would work for mashing?
packerduf
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by packerduf »

jimmypirate wrote:...My question would be do they throw enough power to boil 2-5 gallons of water efficiently? Thoughts?
Tabasco uses an induction burner and a 16-quart brew kettle, IIRC. He has had great success with his BIABs, but he has mentioned the need for top-off water at the end. Hopefully he'll chime in with specific feedback/advice.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

Gymrat wrote:
russki wrote:All of the "residential" models you see on TV and in stores like BBB are designed to run on standard 15A circuits, which limits them to 1875W at the high end, but most of them are 1500W models. This will work for smaller batches, but will not be able to boil anything over 3-4 gallons of wort. In my opinion, a stove supplemented by a heatstick will work much better!
How do you think these would work for mashing?
Without recirculation or mixing, you will have temperature stratification - for smaller batches, oven mashing is the way to go in my opinion. Temperature settings on induction burners are not accurate enough for mashing, in my opinion.

But as always, there's many ways to make good beer, so don't let me stop you! Induction burners are not that different from a regular stove burner!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Gymrat wrote:Even if it didn't it is an interesting thing to look at for mashing. My big concern about it would be the amount of current it draws. I don't believe I would try it with older house wiring. Also your kettle has to be magnetic, or it has to be sitting on something magnetic which would take a much longer time to heat your liquid. Stainless and Aluminum are not magnetic. This is definitely worth some research but be aware of what I just brought up as questions to be answered as you do.

magnetic huh? I did not know that.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
jimmypirate
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by jimmypirate »

jimjohson wrote:
Gymrat wrote:Even if it didn't it is an interesting thing to look at for mashing. My big concern about it would be the amount of current it draws. I don't believe I would try it with older house wiring. Also your kettle has to be magnetic, or it has to be sitting on something magnetic which would take a much longer time to heat your liquid. Stainless and Aluminum are not magnetic. This is definitely worth some research but be aware of what I just brought up as questions to be answered as you do.

magnetic huh? I did not know that.

I didn't know that either. They don't say that on the infomercial...
~On the Way~

~On the Board~
Small Batch Gossamer Red
Small Batch Cherry Wheat
Big Batch Cerveza
Big Batch Canadian Blonde

~R.I.P~
Small Batch Cerveza
Small Batch Chile Lime Cerveza
Small Batch Canadian Blonde
Small Batch Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner
Small Batch Hopped Up IPA
packerduf
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by packerduf »

If a magnet will stick to the bottom of your brew kettle, then the induction burner will work for you.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Not all stainless is created equal. Some is magnetic, and the other isn't. I have an induction cooktop and love it. Heats faster than comparable BTU gas, and is cooler to the touch. I put a paper towel under my cast iron pans when cooking to prevent scratching. OCD.... It browns the towel a bit if I cook for longer than 30 mins or so, The control is awesome, but I wouldn't wait for a 5 gal batch to boil....