An observation

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

An observation

Post by Gymrat »

When my two friends came over to help me yesterday we got my beer done in 4 1/2 hours setup to cleanup. This impressed me given I did a 90 minute mash. Anyway during that 4 1/2 hours we went to lunch during the mash, and talked about stuff guys talk about when hanging out in a garage together during the boil. You know, which is the sexiest waitress at Old Chicago, what we would do to a kid playing "knockout" if he failed to knock us out, they told stories about passing gas when in the shower with their wives, etc. But other than those two times I kept those two guys pretty busy with the manual work involved in brewing. As I did this I realized I work my ass off when I brew. I had never really looked at it that way because it is something I enjoy. I have always thought about it as relaxing. Although I do admit I have always hated the cleanup after the fermenter is sealed. At that point I am tired and just wanting to get it over with. But the rest of it I had never thought about until I was asking a couple of guys to do it for me. I guess that's just one more reason to take pride in my beer. Not only do I create it but I freaking WORK for it :)
madman960
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: An observation

Post by madman960 »

+1
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I love brewing with someone else. My twin helps mostly and next Sunday, he's going to brew and I'll help along with someone else. It passes the time and makes the brew day more enjoyable.
Of course, in your case, you're not able to do some things so it's great your pals helped you out. I'm sure they helped themselves to lots of homebrew too! :)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

When I brew, I'm too busy to notice I am busy.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Beer-lord wrote:I love brewing with someone else. My twin helps mostly and next Sunday, he's going to brew and I'll help along with someone else. It passes the time and makes the brew day more enjoyable.
Of course, in your case, you're not able to do some things so it's great your pals helped you out. I'm sure they helped themselves to lots of homebrew too! :)
Yes they did. If I was bottling this instead of kegging it I would give them each a 12 pack of it.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Yankeedag wrote:When I brew, I'm too busy to notice I am busy.
I think that must be the case with me. I never really thought about the amount of work that goes into brewing before. For me it has always been a way to relax.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Agree 100%. It's typically a 3-4 hour affair from setup to clean-up for me. But it all goes by so fast, that I don't realize that I've done so much. Especially now with using the cooler for the mash, having to vorlauf the wort is just one more step to take up time, but it makes great beer, and that's worth it.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

With my ADD and OCD I find having people over distracts me. I don't mind them, just have to really concentrate to make sure nothings missed.
Yeah, brew day is a lot of work, but well worth it.

Other than that, it's usually my wife who farts in the shower (it's true, she'll own up). :huh:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I've never brewed with help, will only brew grain alone in the house. Extract goes quickly enough if everyone stays out of the kitchen. But last time I brewed grain, I did realize that I worked up a sweat.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

If these guys didn't come over there is no way I would have been able to brew. I felt like I was really putting them out but tonight one of them txted me and told me a friend of his would like to come over next time I brew. So evidently they enjoyed it.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

That's great! Everybody gets what he needs. Share the joy.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.