Can't get that smell out...

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Can't get that smell out...

Post by Ibasterd »

Hey guys. I just finished fermenting a Bewitched amber ale in which I added pumpkin and pumpkin spices. After a thorough cleaning with free and clear dish soap and hot water, the LBK still has a strong smell of the spices that I used. I don't want that to affect the taste/aroma of my next batch which is probably going to be an IPA. Any tips for getting that smell out of the LBK?

Thanks
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Can't get that smell out...

Post by RickBeer »

It's too late now, but the hot water may have sealed your fate so to speak. Hot water bakes in the odor, while warm/cool water does not. I'd suggest you fill it with cold water, to the top, and let it sit a day or two. Then, empty it and let it air dry and see.

If you still have a faint smell, it's likely fine. Mine smell like beer. :laugh
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

What I have done recently which seemed to help was a rinse with white distilled vinegar and water. I haven't really done testing to find a best method but what I did was about 2oz of distilled white vinegar with about a gallon of cold tap water. Slosh it around good then let it sit about 5 mins, slosh again, let sit another 5 then slosh it around and dump. Then rinse with cold water a time or 2 and it seemd to really help. Not sure if maybe filling it all the way and letting it sit overnight would be better, but might be worth a try. Another thing I remember my grandmother doing with tupperware was filling it with crumpled newspaper and putting the lid on for a couple days to remove odors. I haven't tried this with the LBK but it's another option.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Try soaking the LBK overnight with a solution of water and baking soda. It may take a couple of times. That is what we do at work.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Then... once you've done any of the above since your next beer will be an IPA just dry hop the heck out of it. :lol:
Sibling Brewers
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Well, i did the cold water and baking soda thing which helped, but then I decided to just brew more beer in it! This I've decided might be the answer for most of life's problems.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Ibasterd wrote: but then I decided to just brew more beer in it! This I've decided might be the answer for most of life's problems.
You sir are Brilliant! :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Ibasterd wrote:Well, i did the cold water and baking soda thing which helped, but then I decided to just brew more beer in it! This I've decided might be the answer for most of life's problems.
Nothing like that 'new beer smell'!
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

One note is that you should never use hot water in the LBK or PET bottles as it could cause them to deform and become unusable.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company