storing mead and co2?

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

storing mead and co2?

Post by zorak1066 »

here's a question for ya.. i made a blueberry mead. months later i racked it to 1 gallon jugs to finish aging and there's still lots of co2 in it. i wont be degassing because a) i dont know how and b) i dont have any special equipment.

i have the black plastic screw caps with the white plastic stopper/liner .

when the mead was all in, i screwed the caps.. moved the jugs to their final resting place. i unscrewed a cap and FISSSS. co2 came out. im certain it is done fermenting.

ive left the caps slightly loose in case of co2 needed to vent. should i? if so how long til it would be "safe" to tighten them up? thanks for help in advance.

----- Background info and another question------

4 gallons water, 10lbs honey, 5 lbs blueberries 2 packs lalvin 71b-1122.
primary for 1 month.. fed with sacrificial yeast and a centrum vitamin crushed up. (the yeast seem to love it)

estimate OG 1.095 FG after 1 month 1.01 abv = about 11%

rack to secondary.

add 1 gallon water, 5 lbs honey, 5 lbs blueberries.
added another bunch of sacrificial yeast to feed the yeast. (no dap.. no fermex. dont want it)

estimate new OG of mix: ((1.01x 4gal) + (1.20x1g) ) / 5 gals = 1.048 gravity of mixture.

(g1xv1) + (g2xv2)
-----------------
(v1 + v2)

one month later, racked to tertiary.

added nothing. let sit for a month.

final gravity is 0.997. estimated additional abv ( 1.048 - .997 ) / .736 = about 0.07 or 7% .

do you just add the abv at the time of the addition to the alcohol by volume at the end? that would mean the yeast fermented to about 18% abv!??

Ive got some fusel alcohol taste but im fine with it. it should age nicely.
dad2all5
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: storing mead and co2?

Post by dad2all5 »

??? Sounds like the yeast are on steroids. You may need to shock them into submission. Maybe cool them in the refridgerator for a few days, then transfer to clean carboy again for aging.
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT. (THE CHILDREN NEED POSITIVE ROLE MODELS) HAVE YOU CHANGED TODAY?