Coming up short?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Coming up short?

Post by clay5769 »

Hi all
I've done around 8 or so brews. Each time I come up short, meaning I brew 2 gallons of beer I use 16 oz swing top bottles. I should end up with 16 bottles of beer, but every time I end up 2 bottles or more short.

I only fill the bottles 1/2 way up the neck not to the top,
I fill the fermenter according to the instructions of that beer..

So my latest I put 1 gallon of water in the fermenter per instructions, I used 4 cups of water to boil the canned mixture. I added the 4 cups of mixture to fermenter

But this time I added a full gallon of cold water to the fermenter to top it off minus 4 cups so I'm hopeful that I will fill all 16 bottles. So including the wort and the water I should have a total of 2 gallons of beer

I hope I didn't mess it up with to much water?

Thoughts ?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Coming up short?

Post by John Sand »

I remember that I was often a couple of bottles short when brewing HMEs. Sometimes my volume is still off in kegs. The trub (sediment) takes up some of your beer. I would buy and use a hydrometer to see what your gravities are. Also confirm that your measuring cups or pitchers are accurate.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I also had that problem coming up short when I first starting brewing MB kits. 256 oz in 2 gal. and sounds like you should get 16 16oz, but you always have trub loss. It takes awhile to learn how to correct that. I loose 1/2 gal to trub on a 5 gal batch.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

Thanks all.... what I did last 4 brews.

1 gallon cold water in fermenter. Add mix boiled with 4 cups of water , then for final fill up in fermenter I added 1 full gallon of water minus the original 4 cups of water..

I bottled one of them and got 16 bottles and there was a tiny bit leftover with trub .

So in theory I should have the full 2 gallons I guess.

:fillup
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I ferment 5.5 gals. I can fill a 5 gal. keg and have just enough left for a hydro sample. You have to adjust to get the proper gravity reading. Do you have a brewing calculator? Qbrew is a good one for starting out and is free and easy to use.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

Hi
No I'm doing the mr beer type kits.
No extra equipment to do any type of test.
I did just order a Hydrometer to do some testing I just got into the whole brewing thing in the last 2 or 3 months
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

clay5769 wrote:Hi
No I'm doing the mr beer type kits.
No extra equipment to do any type of test.
Yes, I think I know what you saying. Qbrew is a free program that let's you put in what you are using and gives you a idea on what to expect. http://freshmeat.sourceforge.net/projec ... ngredients [url]https://www.thescrewybrewer.com/ The version I got as MB type things on it.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
clay5769
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by clay5769 »

:thanks: