100 Clone Recipes

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

100 Clone Recipes

Post by LouieMacGoo »

These are 100 clone recipes directly from the breweries and there are some great recipes here.

https://beermaverick.com/over-100-comme ... hemselves/

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Beer-lord

Re: 100 Clone Recipes

Post by Beer-lord »

Bookmarked! Thanks.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Cool! I'll check it out!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Also bookmarked. Didn't really look through it yet, but bookmarked for future reference (unless I forget).
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Thanks for sharing that, I've also bookmarked it. One thing that caught my eye was the Ballast Point recipes, specifically the 120+ more Extract recipes, is that they didn't add the DME (Dried Malt Extract) until there was only 15 min left. I'm sure there was a reason for adding it so late rather than boiling it the full 60min?
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

TonyKZ1 wrote:Thanks for sharing that, I've also bookmarked it. One thing that caught my eye was the Ballast Point recipes, specifically the 120+ more Extract recipes, is that they didn't add the DME (Dried Malt Extract) until there was only 15 min left. I'm sure there was a reason for adding it so late rather than boiling it the full 60min?
I've gone to all grain since I bought the mash and boil, but I used to use LME. I often did partial mash batches.

I'm going by memory here, so I may get some things wrong.

I did my batches on a stove top with a pot that held about 3 galons (I think). I'd do the boil, then top off with refrigerated water.

There's sort of a "sweet spot" for hop utilization. You don't want to boil the hops in plain water, but you also don't want to boil them in wort that has a specific gravity that is too high. When I did PM batches, I'd boil the hops in the wort from the mash and add all of the LME at the end. When I did an all extract batch, I'd add some of the LME for the boil to get a SG of about 1.040, then add the rest at flameout.

There are differences between LME and DME. LME is more likely to scorch on the bottom of the pot. DME is harder to dissolve. So with DME, you want to add it while the boil is still going on so it all dissolves, and that's not a concern with LME.

IIRC, boiling extract can result in a darker end result (this may not happen if you do a full volume boil).

So they're trying to increase hop utilization and reduce darkening of the end product.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Thanks, that's what I figured, trying to reduce the darkening of the wort. I've brewed some recipes that did exactly what you said, add some LME at the beginning, add Hops, and then wait until close to the end of the boil to add all the rest of the Extract.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Just as a side note to this topic, if you have not looked at the website Beermaverick.com, which is where you’ll find the recipes mentioned above, please do so. They have a lot of great topics in there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

TonyKZ1 wrote:Thanks, that's what I figured, trying to reduce the darkening of the wort. I've brewed some recipes that did exactly what you said, add some LME at the beginning, add Hops, and then wait until close to the end of the boil to add all the rest of the Extract.
It can also increase the fermentability a bit because the same reaction that darkens the wort creates more complex sugars that the yeast might not eat and as a side effect of that adds a kind of crystal malt like vibe to the beer that shouldn't be there as well.