What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I'm not sure of the recipe, as it's been some time ago. But from I remember it was very peppery/spicy?? And that may just be the type of saison that I made. It's possible the yeast didn't like the warm temps either. I guess I could try again with another Saison. I'm looking at one from Jaspers that has, the Belle Saison dried yeast and from what his recipe says- the ideal temperature range is 70° - 90°F which our room temps are right in the middle during the summer.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

TonyKZ1 wrote:I'm not sure of the recipe, as it's been some time ago. But from I remember it was very peppery/spicy?? And that may just be the type of saison that I made. It's possible the yeast didn't like the warm temps either. I guess I could try again with another Saison. I'm looking at one from Jaspers that has, the Belle Saison dried yeast and from what his recipe says- the ideal temperature range is 70° - 90°F which our room temps are right in the middle during the summer.
Saison yeast always will have some spicy character.

Bella Saison is peppery, and fruity / citrusy. Same with liquid French Saison yeast. It is actually more fruity (like tart citrus) and less peppery at lower fermentation temps. At higher temps it's more peppery and tropical, with some citrus.

Belgian Saison yeast is peppery and bubblegum. The hotter you get it the less peppery it will be but the more bubblegum you will get.
(get some Saison Dupont if you want to see what that tastes like).

If you do not want any spicy character, I suggest you find a Nordic farmhouse (Kviek) strain, it will just be fruity. Most of those would actually like it if you stuck it somewhere that was 90.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Okay, sounds good. I'll try to remember the different yeasts. I'm trying a Saison again, this is a session Saison and it's using the Belle Saison yeast. I might want get some of the other yeast types to have them on hand the next time I try a Saison. The Kviek strain of yeast sounds interesting, definitely worth a try.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:Brewed 6 gallons of a Dubbel, will use Abbaye yeast in it. Lowerish ABV for a dubbel, ~6% it will be. Made my own ~90L candi syrup to go in it.
This is in the bottle, and it will be good, because it's already good!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed 6 gallons of straight up Patersbier. Just Pilsner, Carafoam, and French Aramis hops (they are like streisselspalt with more AA and a wee bit of citrus). Abbaye yeast. Should be yum. Did a step mash because I needed to get a bit of an acid rest in there since I ran out of stuff to adjust my waters PH. Luckily the mash & boil makes that pretty painless.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled the above.
Disasterdave

Post by Disasterdave »

Today I bottled 1.8 Gal Twisted Monk Witbier, used 12 16oz flip caps and 4 12 oz bottles. Less mess than my first two batches, I find the swiich in teh bottling wand sticks a lot- any advise or better model?

Since everything is sterilized I am brewing a 2 Gal Zombie Dirt. Im going to dry hop it in the fermenter 48 hours before bottling. Sound right ?

Well got to go time to throw some pellets in the WORT

Cheers
:)
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I brewed another one of Midwest Supplies recipes. It's the Beer. Simply Beer-Stout, a Extract w/steeping grains 5G recipe.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

TonyKZ1 wrote:Today I brewed another one of Midwest Supplies recipes. It's the Beer. Simply Beer-Stout, a Extract w/steeping grains 5G recipe.
To this day, one of the best stouts I made (I think my first, 5 gallon recipe when I got back into brewing after 20 years away from it) was an extract dry stout recipe from Midwest. The first 3-4 weeks I didn't like it but after than, wow, it was killer. Don't know why I never did it again. :o
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kegged a 6 day old simple IPA with mostly pilsner malt and thanks to Hornindal yeast, I'll be tasting it tomorrow!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Tomorrow I'm brewing a Strata IPA - can't wait to smell those hops!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Beer-lord wrote:
TonyKZ1 wrote:Today I brewed another one of Midwest Supplies recipes. It's the Beer. Simply Beer-Stout, a Extract w/steeping grains 5G recipe.
To this day, one of the best stouts I made (I think my first, 5 gallon recipe when I got back into brewing after 20 years away from it) was an extract dry stout recipe from Midwest. The first 3-4 weeks I didn't like it but after than, wow, it was killer. Don't know why I never did it again. :o
This recipe is pretty good, I've brewed it a few times. It has LME along with the dry Extract also. The yeast (S-05) was already active Sunday and on it's way to making a great beer. :beer:
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Not brewing it yet, but I think my next brew is going to be the infamous Fresh Squeezed clone, but swapping out the Mosaic and Citra for Southern Passion and Southern Cross - just to see what it's like.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:Not brewing it yet, but I think my next brew is going to be the infamous Fresh Squeezed clone, but swapping out the Mosaic and Citra for Southern Passion and Southern Cross - just to see what it's like.
The twins were just discussing this beer this morning! It should be done by one of us soon. I keep saying that but keep doing something different and should simply refine the already enjoyable beers I've done again.
I say DO IT!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed 6 gallons of something like a Belgian Pale Ale, with a couple oz of the Bergamot hops. We will see how those hops work out in a beer with more residual sweetness then the wheat IPA like version I did.