My kits arrived but...

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Badblood

My kits arrived but...

Post by Badblood »

My two kits were suppose to come with 2 refills each, but I only got one. The golden ale, in each kit. I really do not care for the golden ale. I am waiting to hear back from them now to see if it was a mistake.

Mr. Beer is having a BOGO sale now for kits. So think i will order two more, and get 2 free. I will then have 6. That should get the pipeline going lol.
BlackDuck

Re: My kits arrived but...

Post by BlackDuck »

That’s a bummer. I hope they make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Badblood wrote: ... get the pipeline going lol.
My pipeline has a 9 week lag.
3 weeks in the fermentor (longer than absolutely necessary but fits my schedule)
2 weeks carbonating
4 weeks conditioning

You can drink your brew when it's young -- even straight from the fermentor's spigot or as soon as it's carbonated -- but it's more better ... IMO with some aging ... especially for extract recipes.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

HerbMeowing wrote:
Badblood wrote: ... get the pipeline going lol.
My pipeline has a 9 week lag.
3 weeks in the fermentor (longer than absolutely necessary but fits my schedule)
2 weeks carbonating
4 weeks conditioning

You can drink your brew when it's young -- even straight from the fermentor's spigot or as soon as it's carbonated -- but it's more better ... IMO with some aging ... especially for extract recipes.

I am anxious to get started so will probably start off 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonation. I would like to save half of every batch for future drinking, thus making more now. Can only make 2 batches now until my other fermenters come in.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

If the temperature is proper you should be okay with that. When I had LBKs and BDCs I watched for clearing to determine when the beer was ready. A flashlight held to the side will show when the yeast fall out.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

BlackDuck wrote:That’s a bummer. I hope they make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They did not make it right. They stated the gold edition comes with the golden ale recipe only. I have 2 premium kits. Was told the golden ale is suppose to come in those too, even though the description says 2 different refills come with it.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I guess I am confused. Did you order from Mr. Beer or did you order from Amazon? Trying to tie your multiple threads together. If you order from Amazon, then you should be going to Amazon regarding any description that doesn't match what you receive, unless it specifically is sold by Mr. Beer on Amazon. If you order directly from Mr. Beer, then you go to them.

I see a Mr. Beer listing on Amazon, and it says ""Refills may vary - the refills in your gold kit may be different than what is shown. If you did not get the refills You expected please contact Mr. Beer and we will get you what you need." But that kit clearly shows 1 can in the picture.

Mr. Beer has no "Premium" kits on their website today. There "Complete Kits" clearly show 1 can of HME. https://www.mrbeer.com/kits Each kit says it makes 2 gallons.

In the past, Mr. Beer has sold kits that were called "Premium". Some of those date back to 2012. Can you provide a link to what you bought?
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

RickBeer wrote:I guess I am confused. Did you order from Mr. Beer or did you order from Amazon? Trying to tie your multiple threads together. If you order from Amazon, then you should be going to Amazon regarding any description that doesn't match what you receive, unless it specifically is sold by Mr. Beer on Amazon. If you order directly from Mr. Beer, then you go to them.

I see a Mr. Beer listing on Amazon, and it says ""Refills may vary - the refills in your gold kit may be different than what is shown. If you did not get the refills You expected please contact Mr. Beer and we will get you what you need." But that kit clearly shows 1 can in the picture.

Mr. Beer has no "Premium" kits on their website today. There "Complete Kits" clearly show 1 can of HME. https://www.mrbeer.com/kits Each kit says it makes 2 gallons.

In the past, Mr. Beer has sold kits that were called "Premium". Some of those date back to 2012. Can you provide a link to what you bought?
I ordered on Amazon. But instructions said to contact Mr. Beer for any questions. I was told I got the correct kits, and both come with the one golden ale refill. They will let their marketing know the Amazon description is incorrect.

The BOGO sale I ordered through Mr. Beer. I am still being charged $79.80 for shipping even though it states all orders over $75 ships free. I can not justify that so had to cancel my order. Thanks.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Badblood wrote:
RickBeer wrote:I guess I am confused. Did you order from Mr. Beer or did you order from Amazon? Trying to tie your multiple threads together. If you order from Amazon, then you should be going to Amazon regarding any description that doesn't match what you receive, unless it specifically is sold by Mr. Beer on Amazon. If you order directly from Mr. Beer, then you go to them.

I ordered on Amazon. But instructions said to contact Mr. Beer for any questions. I was told I got the correct kits, and both come with the one golden ale refill. They will let their marketing know the Amazon description is incorrect.

The BOGO sale I ordered through Mr. Beer. I am still being charged $79.80 for shipping even though it states all orders over $75 ships free. I can not justify that so had to cancel my order. Thanks.
So you have your answer on the Amazon listing.

As for the shipping, as you know many companies have shipping polices for the 48 contiguous states, with a different policy for Alaska and Hawaii. Mr. Beer is no different - https://www.mrbeer.com/ship-info Whether you think that shipping to Alaska costs no more or not (based on a post you made), it depends on the contract that Mr. Beer has with its shipping vendors - that determines what they pay.

I can tell you that Canadian brewers found Mr. Beer's shipping charges very unaffordable, and Mr. Beer was seeking to establish a Canadian presence to get lower rates, then abandoned that effort years ago.

Hopefully in the future you can find listings on Amazon that work for you. If they are coming directly from Mr. Beer like the one you used, contact them first with the link to verify contents, remembering that they are closed on weekends.

There is a difference between Mr. Beer's HMEs (cans of Hopped Malt Extract) and Brew Demon's. Brew Demon is largely (only?) the former Mr. Beer cans from 2012. Mr. Beer got bought by Cooper's in Australia and changed everything back then. Their current Basic kits a can of HME and packets of booster (which they sell in pouches, Brew Demon sells in cans I believe, they call in Enhancer). Compare the amount of HME in a Mr. Beer can with a Brew Demon can. The more malt extract, the better the result. Mr. Beer also has Deluxe kits, which include a can of HME and a pouch of LME (liquid malt extract). The Deluxe kits will brew better beer than the basic kits, LME is better than booster. Then they have Craft refills, which are much bigger cans of HME, and make much better beer. In addition, they spent a great deal of effort creating actual recipes, which include steeping and partial mash recipes.

That said, using the Mr. Beer or Brew Demon fermenters to make extract recipes using DME/LME, hops, and steeped grains is the next logical step when you're ready.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

RickBeer wrote:
Badblood wrote:

So you have your answer on the Amazon listing.

As for the shipping, as you know many companies have shipping polices for the 48 contiguous states, with a different policy for Alaska and Hawaii. Mr. Beer is no different - https://www.mrbeer.com/ship-info Whether you think that shipping to Alaska costs no more or not (based on a post you made), it depends on the contract that Mr. Beer has with its shipping vendors - that determines what they pay.

I can tell you that Canadian brewers found Mr. Beer's shipping charges very unaffordable, and Mr. Beer was seeking to establish a Canadian presence to get lower rates, then abandoned that effort years ago.

Hopefully in the future you can find listings on Amazon that work for you. If they are coming directly from Mr. Beer like the one you used, contact them first with the link to verify contents, remembering that they are closed on weekends.

There is a difference between Mr. Beer's HMEs (cans of Hopped Malt Extract) and Brew Demon's. Brew Demon is largely (only?) the former Mr. Beer cans from 2012. Mr. Beer got bought by Cooper's in Australia and changed everything back then. Their current Basic kits a can of HME and packets of booster (which they sell in pouches, Brew Demon sells in cans I believe, they call in Enhancer). Compare the amount of HME in a Mr. Beer can with a Brew Demon can. The more malt extract, the better the result. Mr. Beer also has Deluxe kits, which include a can of HME and a pouch of LME (liquid malt extract). The Deluxe kits will brew better beer than the basic kits, LME is better than booster. Then they have Craft refills, which are much bigger cans of HME, and make much better beer. In addition, they spent a great deal of effort creating actual recipes, which include steeping and partial mash recipes.

That said, using the Mr. Beer or Brew Demon fermenters to make extract recipes using DME/LME, hops, and steeped grains is the next logical step when you're ready.
Thank you for your reply. I will be doing the next step, LME/DME, steeped grains, hops etc. I have the NB kit arriving soon. Will do the 5 gallon extract recipies. I have the 2 Mr. Beer kits also. Will make the golden ale in those and the cider.