newbie brew question

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mgurney

newbie brew question

Post by mgurney »

Hey guys, great forum here with lots of great info that is appreciated. I have a small brewdemon and working on my second brew - first brew came out great to my surprise. My question is someone posted a tip about doing a cold crash before bottling to clear up the beer and I was wondering if that would affect the carbonation process since the yeast would settle to the bottom due to being in the fridge. Is there still enough yeast left in the beer to prime properly inside the bottles? Thanks in advance - Mark
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: newbie brew question

Post by Kealia »

Hi Mark. Thats a question that I feel like we all asked when we started, too. Yes, there will be plenty of yeast left over to carbonate your beer. Just be sure to do so at room temp like you probably did with your first batch.

What did you brew first and what are you brewing now?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Welcome to the Borg, I'm glad to see you found out there IS a lot of great info here. Yes Kealia has got you covered on this one. I would leave it carbonate at 70-75 degrees for 4 weeks it should be perfect for you.
:welcome: :cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your successful brew, keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Welcome to The Borg. Yes we all asked that question because it makes you wonder if the yeast will fall out of suspension, but as everyone said, no problem and will clear up your beer some. Ask as many questions as you want and as needed because we all have been there and like to help new brewers make good beer.
:clink: Happy Brewing :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mgurney

Post by mgurney »

Kealia wrote:Hi Mark. Thats a question that I feel like we all asked when we started, too. Yes, there will be plenty of yeast left over to carbonate your beer. Just be sure to do so at room temp like you probably did with your first batch.

What did you brew first and what are you brewing now?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thanks Kealia, my first batch was the pilsner that comes with the brewdemon kit - the result was very good. For my second batch I am trying the Black Bishop Dopplebock plus and I hope that it comes out good like my first brew. I pitched the yeast on Monday and plan to let it ferment for a couple weeks, then will try the 'cold crash' for a couple days and bottle it up!