Men in Black IPA

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Men in Black IPA

Post by mashani »

Clarity/less haze would be another side effect I've seen most every ramped up mash from around those temperatures I've done in the Mash & Boil, especially beers using wheat/oats and less modified / higher protein content European base malts.

Not that it really matters in a Black IPA perhaps, but in a pale one it might be nice.

You get a few more points of attenuation because although it's not as "fast" below 140 it is a misunderstanding that it isn't "doing anything" from a saccharification standpoint... as in there is still amylase doing it's thing and it's actually breaking down sugars for a good part of the ramp up. And as you start to approach the 140s its churning out more simple sugars more rapidly until it hits your target mash temp.

It is literally no extra effort for me to do it in the Mash & Boil, I just put my grains in at whatever step mash temp I want, set it at 1000 watts and my target mash temperature, and more or less ignore it for an hour and a half, just giving it a stir once in a while. I tend to put the grains in around 95-100 for a "dough in" stir it to break up any dough balls, and let it walk through acid/glucan/protein rest steps all on its own, I don't bother "holding" it at a temp. The rest stages are all actually across a temperature range, and not just the numbers you see thrown out there (those are just the "most efficient temp" numbers) and actually overlap as well, so it still spends a good 10-15 minutes at least across each step as it heats up.

You can see how well it works in the picture of the Gratzer I posted elsewhere, considering how much wheat is in it.

It certainly causes no harm to do it unless you really don't want the extra attenuation.

I have no idea how this works in your unit IE how fast it can heat things. If you don't have a "low" setting like the Mash & Boil you might need to be more diligent about actually holding your step temps vs. just letting it ramp.
Beer-lord

Re: Men in Black IPA

Post by Beer-lord »

The High Gravity PID's come factory set up at it's simplest. There's a Mash and a Boil setting. The Mash setting lets you choose whatever temp you want and the Boil setting lets you choose the percentage of power to the heating element (1-100). You can, in just a few extra steps, choose the other options of the unit such as a timer function and a few other things that I don't need nor care about.
So, doing this would be extremely easy.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black