Finally - pickled Eggs again

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Finally - pickled Eggs again

Post by berryman »

I've made pickled Eggs a couple times every year for a lot of years and before that my Mom made them. Last year I didn't make any. I made a batch last night. Believe it or not there are 3 doz in that jar. They are supposed to be mediums but they look a little small size to me. The wife got the eggs on sale, I really got to get my own chickens again and have some real eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Finally - pickled Eggs again

Post by bpgreen »

I've never had (or made) pickled eggs, but they sound interesting. How do you make them? Is it a fermenting process?

If you get your own chickens, I've heard they love to eat spent grains.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

bpgreen wrote:If you get your own chickens, I've heard they love to eat spent grains.
I'll derail this thread real quick and then it can go back to the eggs.
I have a friend two streets over who has chickens. They have learned to recognize the spent grain bucket. When I walk into the backyard with the bucket, one or more will see me squawk which will cause the others to look up. Then there is a flurry of cackling squawking chickens that follow me through the yard until I dump it.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I LOVE pickled eggs! I've made them with vinegar and by fermenting with the whey left over from making cheese. Both are delicious but they taste different. Love the beets, too.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Inkleg wrote:
bpgreen wrote:If you get your own chickens, I've heard they love to eat spent grains.
I'll derail this thread real quick and then it can go back to the eggs.
I have a friend two streets over who has chickens. They have learned to recognize the spent grain bucket. When I walk into the backyard with the bucket, one or more will see me squawk which will cause the others to look up. Then there is a flurry of cackling squawking chickens that follow me through the yard until I dump it.
So what you're saying is chicks dig a guy who home-brews?
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rye-Guy IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

This Pic is from two years ago because for some reason I didn't make any last year. They were a lot nicer eggs then I used this time.
The ones I made this year are tasting good and only a few days in, a couple more days in the brine and will be just right. Brian I don't have an exact recipe and change it some from time to time but always use the same ingredients just different amounts, this last batch I used more sugar and a little less cayenne. Not quite as vinegary and a little less bitey. I will see if I can put together about what I use and post it.
Edit: if FIT sees this thread he will post because he has chickens and likes making pickled eggs and has a written recipe.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I depleted my flock of chickens so not getting a lot of eggs the past year. I hope to have more producing in next 6 months and I can start doing this again (working on hatching out 50 or 60 the next round). Homebrew and pickled eggs go great!! I don't get fancy with the basic recipe. 1/2 water, 1/2 white vinegar, depending on how many I'm doing, I mix in a jar of my home made beets (love the red color it provides). I will use 1/4 sugar (my wife likes a tiny bit of sweetness in her eggs), couple tablespoons of store bought pickling spice and I always drop in a teaspoon of pickling salt(helps to prevent any nasty bugs from starting). Every so often I will include a cup of white wine vinegar, wife likes it but I can take it or leave it. That's my basic. Sometimes I will drop in several cloves of garlic, love garlic on every thing. Occasionally I will forgo the pickling spices and garlic and throw in a jar of crushed red peppers when I have them, if not, I use a jar of my own pickled jalapenos. I love making fire-eggs but I don't let the wife eat them, she gets unhappy fast when flames shoot out the egg when bitten.... LOL

Nice looking eggs Don! Now I need to do some. This week the Northern Pike are biting like crazy. I just finished cleaning, ended up with 15 pounds of meat. Will be going out tomorrow and more than likely catch our limit again. I smoke some of it but most gets split up between fry'n fillets and pickling. Ever had pickled snot rocket? Pretty darn good. I will have quite a bit to do the rest of the week.

Heres a local fishing site that has a post about pickled eggs (and others) with some different recipes.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!