Latest Approach To pH Meter Readings

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Latest Approach To pH Meter Readings

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I just got a new idea for using my small 0.5 liter flask and a stirplate. Seems the best readings are not only taken at 77F but also when the samples are spinning on a stirplate. I've decide to give this idea a spin this weekend when I brew my Sloop Juice Bomb NEIPA clone again.

pH Measurement SOP: Step-by-step instructions to taking pH measurements, from set up to storage.

pH Measurement Checklist: Always be sure you have everything you need to get the most accurate results possible.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: Latest Approach To pH Meter Readings

Post by Beer-lord »

I've never heard of this before.
Please update your findings after the brewday.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Yes, some of the higher end pH meters have a probe that can be extended down into the sample being measured. Its recommended to keep the bulb of the pH meter moving during calibration and readings. If you try it you can see the pH change from when bulb is left stationary to a different reading when it is kept moving.
ph test-sml.jpg
ph test-sml.jpg (58.69 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Last night I tested the theory. With the sample wort stirred the pH reading was different than the sample sample reading with the meter left sitting in the wort. Apparently stirring helps to homogenize the sample and help it reach equilibrium faster, something I have always done by hand. The same holds true when dipping the bulb in calibration solutions, keep the bulb moving.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm going to try this next time and see what happens. I know when I've moved it in the past, the numbers kept changing until I stopped.

By the way, nice glass! :laugh
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:I'm going to try this next time and see what happens. I know when I've moved it in the past, the numbers kept changing until I stopped.

By the way, nice glass! :laugh
Haha, yes, thanks to Steve! I realized my pH meter would never fit in an Erlenmeyer flask, so I switched to plan B and it worked like a charm.