Northeast IPAs - cloudy.....murky?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Northeast IPAs - cloudy.....murky?

Post by Kealia »

I came across a thread elsewhere of folks talking about the difference in NE IPAs now. Not just East (maltier) versus West (crisper, hoppier) - but IPAs specific to the NE.

Apparently this style is somewhat 'defined' as being cloudy. Some of them are downright murky, though. Now, many of us have talked about the desire, or lack thereof, to have clear beer so I'm wondering where everybody stands on this aspect. And if you've had any of these, please speak up. I'm really interested to hear more about them.

While I can't say this looks overly appealing I'm sure I would try it. Unless, as some have stated about other beers, it's actually chunky. I think I may draw the line there. Even so, this thing looks like a yeast starter!

Beer-lord

Re: Northeast IPAs - cloudy.....murky?

Post by Beer-lord »

I've not noticed any as murky as your picture and in fact, hardly noticed any East Coast beers being overly so.
I noticed Enjoy By was a bit cloudier than usual as is Parish Ghost though those are not from the East.
That picture looks too cloudy for it to be just the hops causing it. Looks like the last pour from my keg.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

From what I understand, this is specific to the NorthEast IPAs, not the East in general.

Some pictures weren't quite as murky as this, but others were. Do we have anybody in the NE that can speak to this?
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Extremely cloudy IPA are getting more and more popular out of the Northeast for some reason. A lot are as cloudy as a true wheat beer.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

I have seen IPA's with some cloudiness, not to the extend of a wheat beer or as is the case below, a yeast starter (yuck!)

Either this is a very new thing ( or wants to be a thing...) or there is something really wrong with that batch...

All the double and triple ipa's that I have seen, and many standard and session IPA's are very clear around here... Although it is not uncommon to see some chill haze...

I have seen a few local beers that pour from the tap with some turbidity or cloudiness that doesn't settle while drinking it... But again, not so much that one might mistake it for a wheat beer.

I think at the micro brew level, it's about how long it spent in the bright tank and whether or not it was filtered that impacts this...

The op's pic below might not have had the benefit or either!

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

So, I generally don't care if my really hoppy beers turn out as what I call murky, which by that I mean slightly hazy due to all the hops since I don't filter or brite tank or cold crash or whatever.

But I wouldn't want anything to look like that on purpose unless I intentionally swirled the yeast into suspension (IE a hefe).

I've never seen a beer like that, but I guess I don't live far enough E in the NE equation to stumble upon one.

I don't even know *how* you can make one that murky unless you use yeas that doesn't floc at all.

?
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

That picture looks like chocolate milk. I've never heard of such. A lot of hoppy beers will have a hop haze. I'm fine with that. This almost sounds like a cop out where somebody is trying to move some beer.

Is there a list of murky, muddy, NE IPAs or is this a brewery or two?
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

A quick Google shows it really is a "thing". I found NE as both New England IPAs and Northeastern IPAs. It sounds like a few folks who are trying really hard to create a style. Not all even in New England are onbaord let alone elsewhere.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That brewery is pretty close to me. And they are known for some pretty different recipes. I've never had that one, but a couple guys I work with tell me that it's pretty tasty. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, there are a number of breweries doing this. I've read that some are actually adding flour to their batches to create such a hazy/murky finished product.

The comments about bad batches or moving beer too early seem to be coming up a lot but are dismissed by the brewers. While we Left Coasters are pushing hoppy and clear beers that have bite, the NE seems to be now focused on smoother bitterness and hazy pours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Here's a comical article about it. Warning....article has some not so family friendly words in it, but who gives a f&$@

http://dontdrinkbeer.com/2015/12/14/hoo ... -slurries/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The only thing I ever made that looked like that was my "tripel saison juice" which was hazy as hell because it was basically a whole bunch of adjunct grains with just barely enough enzyme to convert.

But that got diluted in the real beers that used it. That saison you guys had in NC that I sent had a good bit of that in it. Nothing I made with it stayed hazy like that.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

This is new to me, and I live just outside of NYC, so you'd think I'd be in the heart of the Northeast.

I don't mind a hazy beer, or something that just looks unfiltered, but that's really pushing the envelope. It would have to taste amazing for me to get over the unappealing look of it.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

More prevalent in the Vermont, Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island areas where this became a thing.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

That looks disgusting. If that is a thing, that's pretty sad if that is what it has come to.
Brew Strong My Friends...