Spur of the moment cider

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

PaperKittenBrewingCo

Spur of the moment cider

Post by PaperKittenBrewingCo »

Put together a spur of the moment cider yesterday. I know nothing about ciders but I was at the LHBS and picked up a pack of nottingham yeast, pitched it into 2.5 gallons of Aldi 100% Apple juice and added a cinnamon stick and a small box of raisins. Hoping I get a nice cider with a hint of cinnamon to fill my 2.5 gallon keg! I will add one can of AJ concentrate to the keg to sweeten. Any experience using a similar recipe to the one I came up with? Only issue is I currently have a lot of headspace since I used my fermonster, so I plan on racking to the keg in about two weeks if it's close to fermenting dry by then and let it condition in there.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Spur of the moment cider

Post by brewnewb »

Here's a similar thread. I've done it a few times with great results.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5746&p=86250&hilit ... asy#p84163
Thirsting For Knowledge
PaperKittenBrewingCo

Post by PaperKittenBrewingCo »

brewnewb wrote:Here's a similar thread. I've done it a few times with great results.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5746&p=86250&hilit ... asy#p84163
How long do you usually wait to bottle/keg it? I know longer the better, but I'm kind of in a rush haha. I was thinking about kegging after 2 weeks or so and condition in the keg for another month or so.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

When I do cider, I found that the more oxygen you get in there the quicker the fermentation. I Always ferment for 3 weeks before I even look at it. If it is clear and there is trub on the bottom, I Take a reading. If the numbers are low, I keg it, back sweeten, put it under 12 PSI pressure at 36-38*F for 3-4 days and serve. Start to finish 4 weeks.