WLP830

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

WLP830

Post by FrozenInTime »

I'm trying to wash some 830 but what is the yeast? My process from all my ale yeasties is to pour into the glass one gallon jar from the fermentor. I pour off the beer after it settles down/clears. I put clean (previously boiled/cooled water) on top and shake for a few minutes. I then let it settle for 20 minutes and pour off the water and yeast into another clear bottle. Into the fridge for a day or 2, then pour off the stained water, add fresh water, shake/sit for 20 again then draw off the yeastie water leaving most solids behind. A few more days in the fridge and I usually end up with some nice, creamy colored yeast with little to no trub.

Here's my problem. With this lager yeast, how is that process? I do the first as above, pour off the beer, add fresh water, shaky-shake, 20 minutes pour off the water/flocculant yeasties, I think. I let this settle in fridge 3 days, then wash again, pour off dirty water, put fresh in, shake-shook, 20 minutes pour. BUT, it looks to me like the yeast settles first, before the trub? The bottom layer, what I'm used to seeing as trub is a nice creamy white layer with the brown trub (?) layer now on top? I'm not seeing any white layer over the top (second) dark trub layer? Am I doing something wrong? I'm new with trying to wash my lager yeast.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: WLP830

Post by mashani »

That can happen. Sometimes you can even get yeast at the bottom, trub in the middle, and more yeast on top. It is not just a lager yeast thing, it can happen with ale yeasts too, it depends on the yeast flocculation vs. the types of solids remaining and other things (temps might affect it, wort density might affect it, all sorts of things).

You know what I would do in your case? Just leave it alone and call it done. Don't worry about that little bit of trub in there. Just use the stuff like it is.

I'm fairly certain that I've read that both Denny and Jamil will pitch some trub like that and not worry about it, some people (even one of them I believe if I remember reading things in the past right) have just put actual trub in a jar and re-used it with great success (as in... washing... blah too much work LOL).

So... RDWHAHB I say.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I don't wash yeast, I just save trub.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

John Sand wrote:I don't wash yeast, I just save trub.
^^This^^ If I'm saving after fermentation.
Most of what I do now is to overbuild my first starter by 100 billion cells and save that to make another starter with. That way I'm always starting with clean yeast.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Inkleg wrote:
John Sand wrote:I don't wash yeast, I just save trub.
^^This^^ If I'm saving after fermentation.
Most of what I do now is to overbuild my first starter by 100 billion cells and save that to make another starter with. That way I'm always starting with clean yeast.
Ok, I won't worry bout it. I'm going to do a Munich Helles tomorrow on next day so I will just pitch what I have. Sometimes I over-thunk it me thunks.

I've yet to figure out how to measure yeast count. The cream layer in a one gallon jug is about 3/4 inch thick. Any idea how many cells that is? That should be enough to do up a 6 gallon batch me thunks.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

In technical terms, that's "A Lot" of yeast. "Mucho" in metric.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

You need a microscope (40x lens and 10x eyepiece), methylene blue, hemocytometer (grid slide), and pipets.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/cell-coun ... -testing-0

Most people don't do this for homebrewing.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Finally, used this yeast. Washed it down again into a quart jar, ended up with atleast a 2 inch layer of yeast. I dumped it into a Munich Helles batch. It's in a 50 degree cooler holding a good steady temp. I wonder if I'm too cold? It is fermenting, took 2 days to take off. It has been 8 days and it is still going, nice krausen, bubbling away but it has bubbled about 1 per 2-3 seconds since it started. And, it's still going at same rate. My first lager, does lager yeast go this slow?
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Sounds normal for washed lager yeast. :clink:
I plan to ferment at 48* in a few weeks with WLP830 so you're good there.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison