2017 rhizome exchange

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: 2017 rhizome exchange

Post by Kealia »

Such a cool offer and I hope a few folks take you out it. One day I may try growing some, but I'm not there yet in terms of time and dedicated space.

Cheers to you, Brian.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

We've had some warm days, so the hops are sprouting.

Things could change, but right now, it looks like I'll have several Centennial rhizomes. Other than that, I may only have one Cascade (promised to a neighbor), and maybe a hallertauer and a nugget. It's still pretty early, though.

Next year (or maybe the year after) I may have some neomexicanus rhizomes for those of you who live in a desert.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

According to my notes, the following people asked for rhizomes:
Philmoox
FrozenInTime
Swenocha
Mashani

I dug up a bunch of rhizomes today. I thought the hallertauer had some rhizomes, but they weren't real rhizomes. The nugget and perle are on the north side of the house, so they're always slow to get started. But I got a bunch of Centennial and a few Cascades. I gave my neighbor some Cascade rhizomes, but I think I've got enough for at least one for each of the above. And I think I have enough Centennial to give one to each of you and a couple to most of you.

If anybody else wants in, chime in quickly or wait until next year.

Some of these are really healthy. I think I accidentally dug up one of the main cascade plants, and the Centennial just seems to be a beast in terms of creating rhizomes.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I actually do not want Rhizomes, unless you really have extras that nobody wants.

Last year the ones I got from you just got eaten down to the ground non-stop by some mystery critter that gets into my yard at night. They never got more then 3" tall and no longer live. So I don't expect that I will have much luck.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:I actually do not want Rhizomes, unless you really have extras that nobody wants.

Last year the ones I got from you just got eaten down to the ground non-stop by some mystery critter that gets into my yard at night. They never got more then 3" tall and no longer live. So I don't expect that I will have much luck.
Do you like centennial? I think I gave three of each of those to everybody and still have at least one left. If you want it, PM me your address (I seem to have lost it) and I'll send one to you. If I get ambitious, I may go out and see if there are more out there (there probably are--that one seems to spread more than others).
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I used to include a piece of paper with some tips on planting hops. Instead, I'll just point to this guide.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Just got mine yesterday in the mail. Thanks BP. And thanks to Louie for reaching out to me. Been ridiculously busy with work and going through expansion.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

philm00x wrote:Just got mine yesterday in the mail. Thanks BP. And thanks to Louie for reaching out to me. Been ridiculously busy with work and going through expansion.

If you can't plant them right away, stick them in the fridge until you can plant them.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

bpgreen wrote:
philm00x wrote:Just got mine yesterday in the mail. Thanks BP. And thanks to Louie for reaching out to me. Been ridiculously busy with work and going through expansion.

If you can't plant them right away, stick them in the fridge until you can plant them.
That's exactly what I did. Gonna try to get them in by the end of the week.

Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I think next year I could participate in the rhizome exchange, them dam things are coming up all over this year. I just have to figure how to dig and separate.. I have Cascades, Chinook, Mt Hood and Nugget. They are going nuts already this year....
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Received and temporarily planted in the herb garden. Thanks again!
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Got mine, thank-you very much!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

berryman wrote:I think next year I could participate in the rhizome exchange, them dam things are coming up all over this year. I just have to figure how to dig and separate.. I have Cascades, Chinook, Mt Hood and Nugget. They are going nuts already this year....
What I do is find a bine that is coming up away from the parent plant. I then stick the shovel down near that and just kind of pop it up. That exposes part of the rhizome. Then I gently work around that, using a hand trowel if needed to get a good amount of the rhizome exposes, to make sure I know where it is growing. Then I either use pruning shears or the shovel to cut the rhizome off (depending on whether I want to get more of it that is still underground). Sometimes a utility knife works better.

Just make sure you remember where the main plant is, so you know which shoots are the rhizomes and which are actually the main plant. Sometimes early in the season, the new plants may be more vigorous than the old stock. And never DWI (Dig While Intoxicated). If you forget which is the main plant and/or DWI, you may accidentally dig up the crown. If you replant it, it will probably live, but won't produce as well for a while. I'm not saying I've ever done this, but I'm down one Perle (last year) and some people this year got some exceptionally healthy Cascade rhizomes this year.

As an aside, if you like the varieties you have and have room for more, but don't want to wait for rhizomes (they can take a few years), you can start new bines from living bines. When your bines start growing, you generally want to trim to one or two from each plant and train those up a twine, trellis, etc. You can take a third (maybe a fourth, but I don't think I'd go much more than that) and put it in a pot with potting soil (regular soil may also work) in it. For best results, make sure a bud node is below the surface of the soil. Don't cut it from the main plant, but let it grow. For even better results, you can buy rooting hormone at a garden center and dip the part you bury in that. Wait until late summer/early fall and cut it from the main plant. Transplant it with as much of the potting soil as you can maintain to help ensure it has good roots. There's kind of a balance here. You want to give it time to flourish while attached to the mother plant, but you also need to give it time to set on its own. This approach will give you a second (or third) plant by the second year, whereas you usually won't find rhizomes until about the third year (if that).
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

bpgreen wrote:
berryman wrote:I think next year I could participate in the rhizome exchange, them dam things are coming up all over this year. I just have to figure how to dig and separate.. I have Cascades, Chinook, Mt Hood and Nugget. They are going nuts already this year....
And never DWI (Dig While Intoxicated). If you forget which is the main plant and/or DWI, you may accidentally dig up the crown. If you replant it, it will probably live, but won't produce as well for a while. I'm not saying I've ever done this,
Ha :laugh Sounds like you are talking from experience to me :D
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

berryman wrote:
bpgreen wrote:
And never DWI (Dig While Intoxicated). If you forget which is the main plant and/or DWI, you may accidentally dig up the crown. If you replant it, it will probably live, but won't produce as well for a while. I'm not saying I've ever done this,
Ha :laugh Sounds like you are talking from experience to me :D
Well, I'll admit that I used to have two perle plants and now haven only one. And one cascade plant is less well developed than last year.