Evaluating my New Equipment

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Evaluating my New Equipment

Post by mashani »

John Sand wrote:Thanks for the report. Using LME I generally find it darker than AG, also does not attenuate as well. I have scorched it at times I think, but other have the same result.
The fresher the better when it comes to LME, and I suggest freezing it or putting it in the fridge right away if your not using it immediately, this helps tremendously.

I regularly get 80% + attenuation with fresh ultra light, and even more with fresh pilsner extract from MoreBeer (which is why I use it). Short boiled beers especially turn out nice and light, and I almost always short boil or if not add all extract late to a PM. I'm very careful not to scorch. YMMV, but I'm ok with it when I need to use it.

But still, I'd do a lot more AG if I had one of these puppies.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Mash. I'll still use extract when I need, and adjust my methods and recipes as necessary.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I've never had a mash tun and was the next thing I was going to do either build or buy one, but then I came up with this idea and decided this is a better way to go for me. I did BIAB and wrapped a couple towels and then a winter jacket around my Megapot and it would only drop a few deg. in a hour or so. So I'm thinking some insulation on the Mash & Boil will keep it really close and if it does drop down too much it will heat again......I just hate to cover that nice shiny stainless :) but have to do what works best.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW: the reviews say the Grainfather insulating jacket fits if you put it on upside down.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

mashani wrote:FWIW: the reviews say the Grainfather insulating jacket fits if you put it on upside down.
I use a $6 yoga mat from amazon as an insulation blanket on my Braumiester. During the boil, I put the lid on with a spacer so steam can escape. Works great that way
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Evaluating my New Equipment

Post by berryman »

I brewed today again with my mash & boil. Worked really good, my second try and getting the bugs worked out. I added a few handfuls of rice Hulls in the mash- I know not precision but think what might of have been my problem with the error code my first try. Everything worked good today. Yes a 5 hour brew day from start to finish, but the numbers came out good, and not a bad way to make beer. Yes it does boil harder then I thought and what the directions say, I will have the to start with 6 gal to get 5 if doing a 60min boil. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

A review I wrote at the Williams Brewing web site on the Mash&Boil.
"I've done 4 batches now with the Mash&Boil and it works very good and seems to have good efficiency, I use .30 strike water per LB of grain. Temps do seem to fluctuate a little more then I would like to see but doesn't seem to matter and I have a pump on it now and can recirculate a few times during the mash. My biggest complaint on it is where the reset is located on the bottom. It's mostly impossible to get to when full of hot wort., but I corrected that by having a access hole in the bottom of the cart I have it on, and it only tripped once the first time I used it and know why and was my fault. I've made some really good beer so far with this and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to go from extract to AG or any other system for that matter. It's a lot like BIAB but in my opinion a lot easier."
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Cool.
I was looking at these in the catalog today. It's interesting how all in one units have proliferated and come down in price. I'm glad yours meets your needs.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

John Sand wrote:Cool.
I was looking at these in the catalog today. It's interesting how all in one units have proliferated and come down in price. I'm glad yours meets your needs.
John, I am quite happy with this and made a few changes from the beginning and have more to do as I use it and that's the kind of stuff I enjoy doing. There is another new one out there that might be better but more money, but still half of what a grainfather cost. I right now have less money in mine and have two pumps in case one $hits the bed on brew day and don't really need the pumps but it makes my life easier.
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG-KIN ... P4338.aspx
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

After having this system for close to a year now and have done quite a few batches though it, I am quite satisfied with it. Yes now I have a longer brew day compared to extract and a 30 min. steep, but close to the same as a partial BIAB and I am enjoying the different challenges and like the beer I am making. The more I use this, the better it is working out as I have been figuring out things. You can't use a hop spider and sack because if anything touches the low water sensor it will kick the re-set out and kill the boil, I like using my home grown whole hops on some brews. The answer is to empty and rinse out the grain basket after the mash but before the boil and put back in and is one big hop spider. It's not needed on commando on pellet hops. I have read that it can also happen with a DME/LME addition but have not tried that yet. Another couple things I have learned is if you recirculate every 10 Mins. or so during the mash the temps stay quite consistent.
I would recommend this to someone wanting to go to all grain and just having to buy this one unit to do the Whole process, including fermentation as they now have a fermentation cover for it if wanted.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Going to try an experiment for recirculating the mash and for the sparge. I have been using a colander but don’t have one that fits down the grain basket and have to take the cover off every time I recirculate. I built this manifold today out of cpvc and not glued together for easy cleaning fits tight in the grain basket so I can put it where needed. I will try it on the next batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Clever.
Never mind, there it is.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

These are now available with free shipping from Austin Homebrewing Supply.
https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Brewers- ... _8046.html

List price is 299.00 minus a 50.00 discount and free shipping.
To get this system for 250.00 seems like a great deal. I might go for it and stop my whole Zymatic experience.

How do these work for 2.5 - 3.00 gallon batches?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Somewhere in the Q/A or FAQ on Williams, they say the Mash and Boil works good for 2.5 to 3 gallon batches, but they suggest you don't go below that.