Cloudy/Hazy beer

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Cloudy/Hazy beer

Post by berryman »

I just bottled my second all grain batch today a Fat Tire clone, Both the Cream Ale and the FT came out a little cloudy. I've done both of these recipes as extract and steep and as a partial BIAB. Both came out good on the numbers and seem to be a few points lighter in color then the extract but with a cloudy haze. I use whirlfock, but should I be using something else or doing something different?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Cloudy/Hazy beer

Post by HerbMeowing »

I get better results (denser trub) with Irish Moss (1 tsp / 5G @ 15') v. Whirlfloc.
I also follow Terry Foster's (BYO) advice: 1 tsp gelatin / 5G @ bottling.

Given time ... the haze (assuming it's not 'chill' haze and the hop bill wasn't huge like Pliney the Elder) will settle out ... especially with cold conditioning and you'll pour with good clarity.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

My beers generally clear in the fermenter in three weeks without finings. Though my current rye is a touch hazy.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Whirlfloc is compressed Irish Moss.

Did you whirlpool or at least gently stir? I cold crash for clarity.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Things to consider:
- Good boil
- Quick chill
- Whirfloc/Irish Moss (you can check this box)
- Cold crashing
- Gelatin
- Time
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kealia wrote:Things to consider:
- Good boil
- Quick chill
- Cold crashing
- Gelatin
- Time
The boil - first AG was boiled in my Mega-pot as the way I.ve always done it, second one done in my Mash & Boil which seems to have a decent boil.
quick chill - I have a immersion chiller and use to use a ice bath also which I can't do now with my new equipment.
Cold crash - I've done it on and off over the years with good results, but I'm trying to get away from carrying a five full.
Gelatin- I've read on it and may have to look into it on lighter beers
Time- as in the fermenter or bottle? Both these beers set a little longer in a primary then I usually do, but I've been busy with my farm and didn't have time to bottle.
The only other thing I'm doing different now other then AG and not in a bag, is I got the Ss Brewtech 7 gal bucket now, and used glass before.
My next brew will be a Hef so I wont be able to tell on that anyways and I don't usually care but the cream ale came out the lightest color I've ever brewed so I do not like the haze/cloudy.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

What's your brewing water like? The right pH and calcium levels in the mash will work wonders in clearing up your beer too.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:What's your brewing water like? The right pH and calcium levels in the mash will work wonders in clearing up your beer too.
Very good point and is on my things to do/research list. I really like this new endeavor now and it renewed my interest in brewing. For a while I was just making beer to drink so I didn't have to buy and it started almost feeling like a job, now I have so many new things to explore and keeps it interesting. BTW just because they aren't as clear as I would like they taste very good and I hate to say it after all these years of extract I think a touch better.
Last edited by berryman on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

berryman wrote:
Kealia wrote:Things to consider:
- Good boil
- Quick chill
- Cold crashing
- Gelatin
- Time
The boil - first AG was boiled in my Mega-pot as the way I.ve always done it, second one done in my Mash & Boil which seems to have a decent boil.
quick chill - I have a immersion chiller and use to use a ice bath also which I can't do now with my new equipment.
Cold crash - I've done it on and off over the years with good results, but I'm trying to get away from carrying a five full.
Gelatin- I've read on it and may have to look into it on lighter beers
Time- as in the fermenter or bottle? Both these beers set a little longer in a primary then I usually do, but I've been busy with my farm and didn't have time to bottle.
The only other thing I'm doing different now other then AG and not in a bag, is I got the Ss Brewtech 7 gal bucket now, and used glass before.
My next brew will be a Hef so I wont be able to tell on that anyways and I don't usually care but the cream ale came out the lightest color I've ever brewed so I do not like the haze/cloudy.
Ok, check check and check!
Time in the bottle or keg conditioning is what I meant. A lot of cloudy beers will clear with time. Sometimes it's the grain, the ph (as Screwy mentioned) or just bad luck I swear. If all else is good, I'd say hit that sucker with gelatin - especially the cream ale. You'll be AMAZED at how quick and easy it is and the results you get.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

RickBeer wrote:Whirlfloc is compressed Irish Moss.
So they say; however ... my mileage has varied consistently between the two products.

IM produces a more dense trub cake than Whirlfloc ... IOW less wort loss which is more important to small batch sizes ... such as 2.5G ... than larger batch sizes.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

HerbMeowing wrote:
RickBeer wrote:Whirlfloc is compressed Irish Moss.
So they say; however ... my mileage has varied consistently between the two products.

IM produces a more dense trub cake than Whirlfloc ... IOW less wort loss which is more important to small batch sizes ... such as 2.5G ... than larger batch sizes.
Ty, I've used IM before and didn't see a need for it over the Whirlfloc in my extract brewing. I do make mostly darker beers and wheat's and clarity has really never been a issue for me, but I have made the cream Ale before in extract and it was a lot clearer but not as light in color as this batch but the numbers came out better and tastes better I think.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison