Brewdemon questions

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Brewdemon questions

Post by Gman20 »

Ok so just bought me a little demon....so the instructions say DO NOT USE ACID BASED SANITIZER. ...so im suppossed to use one step??

So do u guys still use star san anyway? it is acid based right?

Also one more question. About using airlock...do lhbs carry the required gasket or is that thing so weird u have to order from brewdemon
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brewdemon questions

Post by LouieMacGoo »

When BrewDemon was having issues with spigot failures they claimed that they had traced the problem back to using the acid based sanitizer. I have been using StarSan with both my little demons and my Big Demon with no problems. Your mileage may very. As for the seal/gasket in the little demon, I've only ever used the one provided by BD. I'm sure you could make your own if you could find the right material.

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

RE: the gasket, I say Ni! Or maybe Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing!

Unless you just happen to like staring at your airlock watching it bubble as some sort of meditation, my view is just put the plug back in, forget about the airlock, forget about the gasket, let your lid vent. Unless I am experiencing a fruit fly invasion, I don't even tighten my lid, I just set it on top with just enough turn to keep it from popping off if I move the fermenter. Regardless I don't bother with the gasket, it's just one more thing to clean.

You will make beer that is at worst just as good and at best even better then with the airlock depending on your yeast choice (IE for certain estery Belgian or British yeasts if you really keep the lid loose so that it free vents to simulate open fermentation). Unless you like to squeeze your fermenter lot and suck large amounts of air in, or have fruit flies and let them get in once CO2 stops venting, you won't get infections due to not having an airlock... beer infecting bacteria or yeast *can not* crawl up under your lid and get in, they can only "fall down" into things or get "sucked in" but that's only going to happen if you squeeze the thing a lot. Those kinds of bugs do not have motile cilia.

So my view is that airlocks are over rated, unless you are secondarying your beer for months on end.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I've used my BrewDemon LBCs (little brown conicals) with the airlock/lid gasket and without, just using the supplied plug. They work fine either way, using the airlock and lid gasket as mashani said it's just something else to clean. I've been only using the one step/easy step sanitizer/cleanser since starting with Mr. Beer and an all grain 1G kit as they've always worked fine for me. Just my 0.02 worth, YMMV.
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Mon May 15, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

Thanks guys just always heard star san is better...plus i just bought a new bottle before getting fermenter
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I would suggest limiting the time you expose the spigot to the starsan and make sure to inspect it frequently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

Gman20 wrote:Thanks guys just always heard star san is better...plus i just bought a new bottle before getting fermenter
Starsan only needs a minute to do it's thing